Tuesday 13 May 2014

Black Sky at Night - Angel Delight

It rained through the night and I am guessing it was quite heavy as the garden looked like it had had a really good watering. Huffle worked from home today as we were expecting the delivery of our dishwasher. ( Moo told me earlier that I hadn't written anything about a new dishwasher so here is the story). Our dishwasher (that we inherited with the house) has a bare element in the bottom and all of our Tupperware and plastic stuff falls through and burns and melts and smells awful. After one such event, the dishwasher started to make a terrible noise and Huffle deemed it dead and ordered a new one. After that it never made the noise and we haven't melted any plastic since (though we are very careful where we put things), still it was too late. Huffle also needed to stay in for the plumber who was going to fit the machine and sort out our outside tap (which he re-routed in Winter to help our water filter system).

We had rain forecast for the day but it wasn't raining before I left for work so I decided it would be okay. However, just as I was getting in my car, Huffle opened the window and showed me the phone. School had called to say that Smallest had fell in a muddy puddle and needed new pants (she meant trousers - it does get confusing) so I took a whole set of clothes because you never know how many puddles Smallest could fall into in one day. Afterwards I went to work where we immediately set about the Vegetable Garden. It started raining heavily and I had to borrow a fleece as it got cold. Luckily the sun came out and it was beautiful for the rest of the day. I sewed multicolour carrots, beetroot and radishes, de-maple'd the garden (this has been a strange year for tree seedlings. Their gardens are full of maple seedlings and our lawn is full of Sycamore Seedlings). After we finished weeding we covered the whole Potagè with straw to keep the moisiture in and the weeds out. This will die down and become part of the soil. Ummmmm, wonder where I can get my hands on a bale of straw? After coffee and Courgette Muffins, we pulled out geraniums from the paths and then cleared a garden of Corydalis and more seedling trees. I came home with three different colours of Violets, a clump of Corydalis, some ginger plants and five bags of wood chips.

Left: the violets

RIght: My Trilliums are flowering and there are two more under the tree still to flower. Wahooo.

When I got home, the dishwasher had been delivered. Yesterday they said it would come between 12 and 4:30pm. They rang at 10:30 am this morning and said it would be delivered within the hour and then it arrived at 12!!!! The plumber never arrived or returned my call so I rang and left another message. We now have a dishwasher that is working (when it isn't eating the plastic) and a new wrapped up dishwasher sitting in the middle of the kitchen.

Our first tulip to open

Huffle and I had lunch after I put the new plants in and then I went food shopping. Once back, I skyped Moo and we sat on the porch. The boys came home and chatted briefly to her whilst eating their enormous ice poles. I made burgers and potato wedges and got them ready for the oven, waited for Huffle to finish work and the boys made cards for Mr Royal. We set the oven to come on and went round to the Royals where we presented him with Ribena, an Angel Delight (nobody can be uncheered with Angel Delight) and the cards the boys had made. He watched the boys play football on his grass and we all chatted. He has to rest plenty and he had ran out of Ribena so that was lucky.

When we came home, the cooker had gone wrong (the same problem we had with the other one for a year before we finally got them to replace it AAARRRRGGGGHHHHHH bloomin' thing!). Luckily the food was cooked.

After we ate, all the boys played football and then Huffle, Smallest and I planted some more veggies in the garden. Then the sky went black and it went really really dark (the solar lights came on too) and Huffle ran inside like a frightened rabbit and closed all the windows. He is expecting a storm.

The plumber rang and said he couldn't do the tap work if the weather is bad as he has to get in our well. He is going to ring me when he knows it is not raining. The black sky turned into heavy rain (no storms yet - 8pm but there is a 60% chance of storms at 10pm).

Tomorrow I was supposed to garden at the Royal York but it has been cancelled due to the weather. I am extremely disappointed as the next available day for them to go is next Tuesday and I can't make it. BOOOOO.

 

No comments: