Saturday 10 May 2014

I want to be Bob or Steve*

Huffle and I were woken by Otto (next door) chopping wood at 8am. 8am on a Saturday? Good grief man, get a life. He was also wearing an anorak and standing next to a bonfire. It was 30* in our Sun Room (okay so it is all windows but that meant it was warm outside!). Silly man, still he offered Huffle some strawberry plants yesterday as they have too many. Huffle edit (no doubt 'special' strawberries)

This morning Small was feeling sick and had tummy ache. I made him breakfast in case it was hunger and he seemed much better afterwards. The three boys went off after breakfast to have a 'meeting'. I turned the radio up so I couldn't hear as I guessed it might have something to do with Mothers Day. I could also hear the resident 'monkey' talking so no doubt he has a part to play too.

Huffle and I started to put out some vegetable seedlings we had grown and Smallest and I collected sticks from the forest area to use as pea sticks. Small went off mid morning with his Cubs leader for a hike along the Uxbridge Trail and Smallest, Huffle and I carried on planting until it was time for us to drop him off at another point along the trail for his hike with the Beavers.

Kid-free, Huffle and I visited The Tire and bought some paint for our stairway which is currently a very dark Aubergine colour - we want it much lighter), he bought me two hanging baskets full of red geraniums (pelargoniums) for the porch for Mothers Day. We also had lunch (I requested a nice place for lunch but in reality we only had time for a pita sitting on the wooden steps of a disused warehouse overlooking the car park of the supermarket - romance is not dead!) and visited a garden centre.

We went to the park to pick up the boys at their end of hike barbecue and Huffle took the Leader back to his car. We left the Cubs/Beavers and went to buy The boys a book each for their Easter presents. Smallest chose a Geronimo Stilton book and Small wanted a book that was still in hardback so he is going to wait for a few months for his. I love the fact they read as much as me and can't take their noses out of a book. Smallest read his all the way home. We bought Small a new pair of Trainers as his were falling apart. We also bought Smallest a spare pair in the sale and then popped to the supermarket to buy ice-cream. We were going to go to an ice-cream place but Small wasn't feeling well again so we got our supermarket tubs and came home. After ice creams in the garden, Small felt much better. We later realised he hadn't been drinking and was possibly a bit dehydrated.

More gardening, lots of playing about and fighting and arguing and a bit of homework. Drew came over and told us that Mr Royal was now back home and out of hospital so that is good though we are not allowed to go over and scare him.

In our vegetable garden we now have Peas, Mange Tout, Savoy Cabbage and White Cabbage, Brocolli, Runner Beans, Carrots and Lettuce. Oh we also bought Smallest some tomato plants because he wants to grow them for him and Moo for the Summer.

For Valentines, I bought Huffle a Hummingbird Feeder and today we set it up and walked down to the Beer Store to buy Nectar for it. While we were sitting outside (before we filled it) we watched a HummingBird fly into the red geranium and then to the feeder where it tried to get the nectar. We filled it immediately and planted some Wildflower Hummingbird seeds underneath and in a pot at the back. We love to see them, they are funny little things.

After we had dinner the boys went off again for another 'meeting'. I went up for a shower and I had to close my eyes and put my radio on so I couldn't hear. I did hear recorders playing a lovely tune. I wonder what tomorrow will bring. How exciting.

 

*I asked Smallest this morning if he liked his name. He said "No, I want to be Bob or Steve". Bob is the name that Small wanted to call Smallest when he was born. Actually he wanted Bob the Builder.

 

13 comments:

Wonder Woman said...

Every day I read your posts and every day I think I must get some veggies planted, but it keeps raining!! Your garden is looking good x

Corinne said...

Hummingbirds - how lovely. Beats the tits we get here!!! �� although I had a lovely woodpecker the other day - was very proud of it.... 'Bob' is a wonderful name please tell Small we love it and it suits him Heee-Heee

AA said...

Told you we should have called him Barney.

xx

Mrs Rumbleskins said...

What....no mention of Eurovision?

famfa said...

I'm sure the rule for planting in uk is "don't cast a clout till may is out" well for the beans anyway. You've got time yet and you have your lovely eggs and wine xxxx

famfa said...

Nothing wrong with tits, our equivalent is a chickadee. Love watching the birds. Your garden is looking fabulous too. Bob it is then xx

famfa said...

Ummmm what happened to you ONLY calling him that? Xx

famfa said...

We don't get it here - all I know is that a bearded lady won! Xx

Mrs Rumbleskins said...

The UK were represented by a girl from Leicester called Molly! She wasn't very good though.

famfa said...

Oh I didn't know that. Fame again for Leicester. And the bearded lady?

Sarah Tomson said...

Hehe the bearded lady is really called Tom!!

I'm fed up of filling our bird feeder - we seem to only get big fat pigeons!!

famfa said...

A bearded tom - ummmm. Was he any good though? What are you putting in your bird feeder? We have one with black sunflowers for the yellow finches. One with wild bird seed and one with peanuts. However the wild and peanuts mainly get eaten by squirrels and chipmunks xx

Sarah Tomson said...

No Tom was not very talented but then is anyone ever on eurovision i think its all about the novelty factor

Our bird feeder has wild bird seeds and mealy worms in it - the smaller bird feeders are not touched that often so hardly ever need filling its just the big greedy ones that are piggies!