Monday 16 November 2015

Itty Bitty Corner of World

What a disappointment to be woken up at 7:40am, not only to learn I had overslept but to find out it was a Monday and I had to get up at all. BOOOOOOO. Smallest was up already but too busy watching Elf (hasn't anyone told that boy it's still November?) to get anyone else up and Small was just waking.

Smallest went to school dressed in a coat and hat (with gloves and fleece in his bag - just in case) - good boy doesn't want his poor Mummy humiliated by busy bodies at school again ha ha!

I went off this morning with a huge list of things to buy. I started with the Christmas Cake ingredients. This year we have decided to halve the cake as there is too much and really only Huffle and Moo eat it. I was very happy with my purchases of ingredients despite the fact I couldn't use the scales. They were in kg's (which is what my measurements were) but were covered up by pounds stickers. Hang on a moment, that's not progress is it? Surely pounds didn't come after kg's? So I didn't weigh the stuff, instead I carefully placed them in a bag and held it out at arms length as if I had any idea how heavy the things were. Of course, when I got home I was way out but I'm hoping I looked confident enough to any onlookers.

My next job was to buy tiny things to put in our homemade advent calendar. This included tiny toys, sweets and Pokemon cards. Huffle and I will then supplement these with anecdotes and the boys will add lovely Christmas drawings and insults about each other. Nice traditions. I managed to get both boys a pair of snow pants and wellies (OMG Small's feet are like boats, I could wear my wellies inside his now).

Feeling smug after my excellent shopping trip, I popped to a supermarket and picked up a nice baguette for lunch, some fruit and some salad. Huffle and I had a bit of lunch and spent the rest of his lunchtime clearing leaves from the gutters. Well he cleared and I had the very important job of placing the ladder, holding the ladder with my foot planted firmly on the bottom rung and obviously taking photos as the sun was out, the sky was blue and the shadows on the house were amazing.

Then I met NoCustard for a lovely walk in the forest. Today we went completely off track and followed a wiggly trail which was lovely until we hit a huge upward hill. Then we met a trail we have done many times and did it backwards. It was a proper adventure but absolutely lovely and took us an hour and a half with some good uphills.

At home I sorted washing and made dinner. Tonight we had Macaroni Cheese which has been requested by the boys for ages now and I had promised. Big and Smallest bears had chicken with theirs and we all had a bit of salad and a piece of crusty bread.

The boys had their piano lessons. Smallest was asked to play his piece 'cheekily'.

After dinner we all headed off to one of the Scout Leaders houses for Investiture. Now normally this is the time when Huffle and I get to escape all things small boys and annoying men and go and have a lovely walk by ourselves or play tennis etc. Today we were asked to attend as Smallest was being invested as a Cub. Thank goodness I bought those wellies today.

Huffle and I went as Huffle is trying to make an effort at social events, in order to help me integrate more. The evening started with the leader that hosted the evening telling us where to park the car. The kids all ran around the garden and the adults stood around uncomfortably. There was a small fire, a couple of games for the kids and then an hour of 'investiture' where new Beavers, Beavers moving to Cubs and Cubs moving to Scouts got welcomed. More games, some interesting marshmallow burning (the highlight of Huffles evening) and some very good hot chocolate. I mentioned to the host it was the best hot chocolate I had had since being in Canada and his reply was "thank you for the compliment". I think his wife had made it. The evening wasn't so bad after all and we didn't smell too much of fire.

At home we watched I'm A Celebrity.

 

No comments: