Friday 25 May 2012

Feelin' hot hot hot!

Small got up in the night to tell me he had lost his pillow! Had he eaten it? Had the tooth fairy taken it thinking it was another tooth? No, it had fell off his bed and was sitting there looking like a 'fallen off the bed' pillow, waiting for its master to pick it up and put it under his head. Silly billy. He woke up in a foul mood (pillow's fault?) and Small seemed to be getting the brunt of it!

It was 29* this morning with humidity of...... (I can't lie, I don't understand the humidity bit, but I do know it was bloomin' warm). Of course I had to do a grocery shop and my mission today was to find a washing line prop. prop, yes prop, an extendable pole that one sticks under the washing line to make it taut, to stop the washing from dragging on the floor! What? You haven't ever heard of one! Two shops - nothing. Gave up and came home.

After I had opened all the windows and doors in an effort to get some cool air into the house, and put all the shopping away (minus the prop), I had lunch and watched 'so you think you can dance' American version. Still got Kat Deely as the host. The people auditioning were amazing. OMG, what they can do with their legs and arms. Brilliant. The house felt cooler but every time I went past the back door it felt like a warm blast similar to when you get off an aeroplane abroad!

I tried to do a bit of gardening but it was just too warm. I tried to read my book but still too warm. I ended up sitting on the porch crocheting and in the shade it was still too warm. When the boys got off the bus they looked like they had been in a sauna, so I marched them off to get an ice pole. Smallest's temper seems a bit hot too! I gave them a snack, we talked about school and off we went to Spring Fest at the school.

First of all we looked at the cake contest - why didn't I enter? Then we bought some tickets. Everything there costs one, two or three tickets! We bought $20 worth and went into the games room. There the boys got to knock ducks over, hit a golf ball, throw toilet rolls down a toilet, throw rings around a bottle, strongman hammer, hockey goal, and when they had done it all they claimed their prize. Small chose a bouncy ball and a bat n ball (which broke before we got it home). Smallest chose a skipping role because he thought it was a bunch of candy canes and then swapped it for a squinky!? and a slinky.

Oh Smallest, get out of that toilet!

Huffle joined us and we saw the Reptilian Room. We got to see a tortoise (who would eat another's nails if they were painted*, a lizard (who smelt through his tongue), a tarantula (at which point I exited the room so have no facts for you because I couldn't even look at it!), the boys had snakes around their necks and we saw a scorpion (Smallest said "we've seen one of those in our house" "in Italy" at which point the man said "you're not from Italy are you? My mother in law is from Italy and she doesn't sound like you"), we also saw a small gator and Smallest told the man that he had sat on one! The expert said the reason I could stroke an Alligator and not a spider was because it looked like a Gucci Handbag! I said I wouldn't know! He said you don't have to buy one, you can just look at them in the shop!

 

The lizard was very soft
He said that the cartoon Franklin was an incorrect drawing - something about his feet
Small loved having this snake round his neck
However Smallest said it was strangling him!
This one wrapped itself around Small's arm
"err, can you get it off me now?"

Huffle moaned about the amount of money everything cost and then bid on the silent auction for two rounds of golf and a golf cart! Typical. He said "is there anything you would like to bid on my sweetness, anything you like?". Don't be silly, of course he didn't!

The boys had a hot dog each. I asked them if they thought that they could live on hotdogs and burgers and they said yes they thought they could.

smallest dropped half of his hot dog on the floor!

I found everyone quite rude and ignorant! Huffle says its just their way. There were a handful of people there who were nice, genuine people. I said that I was glad I wasn't overly homesick else I may just have wanted to go 'HOME!'. We escaped at a reasonable time (again). I can't say it was 'fun filled' but it was certainly better than yesterday's afternoon!

On the way home I drove on the wrong side of the road. Huffle sat next to me and he hadn't even noticed. It was only a side road but so easily done! Whoops.

Tomorrow we have the Hamlet's Garden Club Plant Sale, which I haven't volunteered for as yet and am hoping I can just go and buy and then come away. Also tomorrow is another festival. Feeling a little fest'ed out at the moment. I guess that this is the time of year when they know the weather will be good so they schedule all the sales, festivals etc. Another fun-filled afternoon?

We didn't get the storm. The boys said it rained at school but I must have been in the non-existent line prop department at the time!

The weather is supposed to be a little cooler tomorrow 22* with rain on Sunday and a storm Monday and rain Tuesday and Wednesday - told you it would change!!! Looks like UK was mid to late 20's today again with the rest of the week sunny. Super!

* I wasn't going to explain about the tortoise but Huffle insisted. The expert was Telling the boys that the difference between a turtle and a tortoise is their feet and nails. He said (looking at my nails) if you wore open toed shoes all the time you would probably want to paint your nails, but if you painted a tortoises nails, other tortoises would try and eat them! Interesting fact in itself but then I asked "how do you know?" to which he replied "we had to paint some tortoises nails to tell them apart but they tried to eat them!" okay, fair enough!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sorry last. Days not so much fun as could hv been at Least u hv weekend to recover from festival fever. We had great day at Wentworth wnt in the boyfriends BMW and were treated like royalty Tel huffle we got £35 off entry he would b proud, freebies were for today and we can't go having new settles delivered. Love Aunt Pear xx