Wednesday 30 May 2012

Poor Injured Unidentified Animal!?

Huffle and I were just settling down to sleep when we heard a scuffling noise outside our window. Oh no, what now? We went downstairs to check it out and Huffle saw a raccoon scamper off. On the lawn there was an object that wasn't moving (well I swear it moved a little). Thoughts of a dead animal, maybe attacked by the Coyotes or the Racoon. Huffle thought it looked like a badger (not in England now) and I thought it looked liked a wombat! (or Australia). Huffle thought we should throw something at it but I wouldn't let him. We didn't want to go outside in case whatever had killed the thing was still out there or the thing itself was only pretending to be dead, and maybe jumped up at us. We stood there for what seemed like ages, shining a torch at it until I said "it's not the watering can is it?". OMG we laughed and laughed and laughed. What a silly pair. Huffle then ran out really quickly and grabbed the compost bin and bought it inside. We could hear the raccoon growling or purring or whatever it does and he ran back like a frightened girl! (not that I would have been any different!).

We went back to bed and listened to the Coyotes or CoyWolf celebrating - its a horrible noise. I don't like it. The WolfCoy is a cross between a wolf and a Coyote (that was probably a bit obvious!). They live at the back of our garden in the foresty bit. They are getting a bit blasé and walking into people's gardens and into the nearby fields. There are some people round here who are going to 'deal with it'. I don't like that either. I obviously don't want them in my garden and I certainly don't want my boys to be attacked or eaten (apparently they only go for small dogs and cats etc but who knows what they will do!). A neighbour is going to call the proper authorities rather than rely on vigilantes. I have stopped the boys using the forest at the back to get to their friends for now. The sitings that have been seen, the CoyWolf just looks at them, not at all scared, doesn't run away, almost like he's sticking his v's up at them!

While i am writing this i am watching a chipmunk trying to get into the box that holds the bird seed. Greedy Alvin!

Smallest climbed into bed last night because of a bad dream. He stayed for about five minutes and then said "i'm going back to my bed now". This morning he climbed in beside me and started chattering and wanting to play ice cream vans - I said I was still sleepy and didn't want to play yet. Apparently he sat on the stair looking grumpy. Huffle asked him who had upset him and he pointed at our bedroom door. oh dear, sorry Smallest, I like sleeping!

Both boys at school today so I made doubly sure they were on time for the bus. I had a lovely quiet breakfast, reading, blogging and listening to the radio. I decided to pop to the garden centre to find out what happened on Monday. The boss was just late but he said he would have sent me home anyway. It was too hot to do anything. I bought some plants and got 25% off - cool! I then went to the supermarket and picked a few things up, went home, put shopping away.

Mrs Royal and I were going to do a walk so I rang to find out when. She was waiting for a delivery and had a few jobs to do so we decided we would go about 3pm so we could be back in time for the kids coming home.

In the meantime I had lunch, made a Victoria sponge, Skyped Moo, made a Banana Loaf, cleared up, emptied and filled the dishwasher and made some buttercream and filled the cake. I am practising for the party on Sunday. I used a Canadian recipe for the cake but an English tried and tested one for the Banana Loaf. Both turned out well.

We went out for our walk but stopped to talk to our local artist who has an exhibition this weekend and we got delayed so we had to change our walk to a brisk uphill one and then back down. We saw the bus come and the boys get off but they didn't see us. I could hear Small shouting "Mummy? Mummy!" and although I was shouting back they couldn't work out where I was.

They were really funny when the came home. Tying to convince me to let them both play on the computer and Smallest kept on finishing Small's words.

The boys and Mrs Royal tried the Banana Loaf - thumbs up! The boys tried the cake after dinner and smallest really liked it, Small didn't like the buttercream - he is fussy! I will be making another one on Sunday it I want to put a sugar craft Queen on it somewhere, maybe with a corgi and some bunting! We'll see!

Huffle came home and we all had dinner and then the three boys played football while I wrote this. The kitchen is a big mess, I must have used every pot on the house! déjà Vu - who else does that?????

It has been a much cooler day today. Odd moments of hot sun and then lots of cloudiness. I did attempt to sit out in the garden and read but next door's lawn service came and made too much noise. Oh well at least I won't have so many bites. yesterday I had bites on my bum and I swear I don't walk around knickerless in the garden, so how???

Small has his EQAO tests tomorrow. One hour long. He was worried this morning but seems excited about it now. strange. I don't care as long as he isn't worried.

 

4 comments:

Mrs BB said...

Muffin finished her EQAO tests today. She was happy with how she did, they had done a lot of prep in class over last month.

Wildlife at this time of year is great and so different to uk. We have a cardinal and her baby visiting our bird feeder and an American Robin is nesting in the tree in our front garden. Loving your cheeky chipmunk!!

Xx

Anonymous said...

Schoolboy error people re the "dead animal" either that or it's an eye test 4both of you. Don't like thought of cayotes near s&s . As for bies on yr bum tooooo much information!! Aunt pear x

Anonymous said...

Mmmmmm, I love Victoria sponge, and the butter icing is the best bit! Canadian wildlife sounds scary. Mind you I used to get freaked out by the sounds of mating foxes at night when I lived in London. Mrs Rumbleskins x

Anonymous said...

I wonder if your dead animal was a groundhog? They're incredibly territorial and we had one kill a young one in our garden one year, the noise was terrible. The coyotes and wolves don't sound like fun, someone definitely needs to get them taken care of, I bet they'd go for a baby. I try to get to work for 7 - 7:15, then I can get out of the door early at the other end of the day, I link us both up to WOYWW from my desk as soon as I arrive! The Philip Pullman books are very good, they're aimed at young teenagers really but like Harry Potter all age groups read them. The first one was made into a film (The Golden Compass) with Daniel Craig and Nicole Kidman. They're fantasy adventure, if you like that genre, I didn't think I'd enjoy them but I have.

Hugs
Brenda