Monday 7 May 2012

You say Tomatto, I say Tomato

It is MayDay in the UK today and I heard that it was a wash out!

May Day picture from the Telegraph

Jubilee Wellies. Take note Moo - I would love these - maybe not Hunter ones though, pricey pricey

Huffle went off to work, boys went off to school, I went off to work (he he, love saying that!). When I got there we were faced with millions of tomato plants that needed transplanting, labelling and moving to one of the greenhouses. It was very warm and sticky in there today.

Two of the greenhouses, so you can see where I work
I had no idea there were quite so many different tomato names.

We all stopped for a coffee and I was chatting to the people I work with. I said I had trouble baking here. One of the blokes said "I know what you mean, my wife's been here 40 years and she still can't bake the way she did in Scotland". A woman said "Well I bake okay!". I asked her if she had ever baked in England. She said she didn't, she's never been. I told her maybe she would have the same trouble I'm having if she went there and tried to bake. She couldn't understand why anyone would have trouble wherever they were!!!

By 12 we had finished all the tomatoes (there were only three of us in there today so we worked hard). I started on the Eggplants (aubergines).

I left just before 1pm and took my car to have it's winter tyres removed - think we may be okay now. I walked home. It was getting stickier and stickier. It is supposed to rain this afternoon. C'mon then - bring it on!

Had lunch, was skyped by Grandma, Grandad and Madamme Courvoisier. They sent me photos of Madamme Courvoisier's trillium's so I could be envious. I was (only a little).

Trilliums in the UK
She said "I don't have to drive one hour away to see mine!". Oooohhhhhh!

Cheers Madamme Courvoisier.

I went into the garden and started moving soil from the end of the garden (needs desperate clearing) into the wheelbarrow. Wheeled it up the other end of the garden (phew) and tipped it into the raised bed No1. (double phew). I did this three times and in between re-housed some geraniums and a some peonies that were growing there. I think I might need about four or five more wheelbarrow loads but Huffle should be pleased as I have saved him money.

I worked hard and then when the boys came home, we all walked and scooted to the garage, picked up my car and drove back.

The boys helped me roll the tyres back into the barn. They thought it was great fun.

I'm feeling a bit under the weather today. I woke up with a sore throat and it has steadily got worse throughout the day. Now that either means I am going to have a bad throat (clever diagnosis there!) or it will turn into a cold. If it turns into a cold I can blame Grandad for leaving it here!! Naughty Grandad.

The boys ended the day with a game of football, a quick game of monopoly deal for all of us, a discussion about who had done what job (they have a list of jobs for the week and if they do them all, they get some pocket money - so far so good).

Smallest has behaved. No arguing. Very loving and cuddlesome (a word?). He says he is looking forward to spending some time with just me tomorrow.

 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOVE the boots, get Moo to get me a pair too!!! No one knows a thing about Beltane over here and they all think you're some kind of devil worshiping pagan heathen if you make your views known!! They're all happy to celebrate Halloween though without a second thought! The greenhouses are much bigger than I thought they were, looks like hard work but a great way to learn. Hope Smallest continues to do OK, I can't give any advice as I'm not a parent.... but I will, lol!! It seems to me (just from reading this blog), that you threaten him/them with a lot of things (no ice cream, no eating out, no tv etc), but then give in a bit anyway for a small amount of good behaviour. Perhaps they know you won't completely follow thru with the threats? Smallest especially, seems to know exactly what to do to either hurt you or get what he wants from you, but I know that's what a lot of kids do and hopefully he's just going through a bad phase. Don't beat yourself up though for moving them to Canada. Huffle was looking for work in England wasn't he? You could easily have ended up moving to the other end of the country had you stayed, and I know most things would have still been very familiar had you moved to Kent or Devon or somewhere, but there would still have been major upheaval for both boys, school and friends/family being the biggest things for them at this age. I fully appreciate loosing your family and friends network too, but I don't know what to suggest. I did wonder about what you said last week about constantly feeling like you're on holiday instead of living here.... wonder if the boys feel like that a bit too? Especially with all the visitors and all the trips out? They both seem to be fine at school where there's a very set routine each day. Ach, I'm rambling! I hope you get it worked out and find out what's at the bottom of the bad behaviour, it must be very stressful at times, hopefully it will pass on it's own.

Sending hugs and sunny, peaceful days!!

Brenda

SandeeNC said...

Great post, and boy you are one busy woman! Makes me look like a slouch, oh wait, I am! lol I am curious about the baking then, is the food, the ovens, the altitude? There has to be a reason...don't you think? waving hi from the hills of North Carolina where the trillium looks likes yours! :)

famfa said...

Brenda - have found much cheaper ones in Asda Uk, have put in my order. You want some? All taken on board - very stressful it I'm sure lots go through it! Thanks for hugs, need them.

Sandee- I'm not aways that active, notice I don't say how long I blog for! Flour, oven, measurements, ingredients to name it all! Just need to practice