Monday 14 May 2012

Potting Petunias and a Pointy Thing!

Still had no voice when I went to bed but when I got up this morning it was back just enough to shout up the stairs "it's time for schooooooool". I decided to go to work as I knew I wouldn't sit and rest anyway.

Today we potted up millions of Petunias from plugs. It was boiling in the greenhouse so we had to have the fan on. The boss said he knew I was supposed to go in the garden today but maybe next time.

I worked until 12:30. I came home with a recipe for Canadian Scones (not like our English ones but still nice) and two Petunias. I nearly came home with six Rosemary plants as they had been put out for anyone to take if they wanted them, so I earmarked them for me, then a customer came in and asked if he could have them. Maaaaaan. He did give me a pen though, sigh!

I skyped Moo this afternoon and she showed how our Amaryllis was flowering.

Couple of bloomin' lovelies!



Small filled the birdseed up yesterday and it looks like the squirrel has dragged it down, rolled it across a newly dug and planted bit by Huffle (oh dear, he is not pleased!) and emptied and ate the lot!!!!! He only filled it yesterday! Well, I put the feeder back and a woodpecker (I don't think it was Wilbur, maybe his Wife?). She let me get really close.

 

Attempted to dig the bottom of the garden (which has been a doing ground/compost corner for many years it looks like) but is too full of roots. Don't have enough energy for that today, so instead I set about the awful task of removing a ton of shredded tyre from a flower bed. It has been used as a mulch but I looked it up on the internet and it says

Rubber mulch is WORSE! You know you have to pay to throw away your old tires. Do you really think it’s a smart idea to buy them back after somebody grinds them up and calls them mulch? Rubber mulch leaches zinc and other pollutants; and it STINKS in the summertime. Why does everyone with a toxic waste disposal problem always have to think, “Hey—I’ll bet we can convince people to use this stuff in their garden!”?


So the rubber mulch has been removed (as much as is possible) and I stuck it in a box (whilst wondering what to do with it!). Then I dug it over a bit and added a few more plants there. Some of the bulbs that Grandad put in are starting to grow - yippee. It looks so much better with all that black horribleness!

Boys came home and played with their friends from down the road. They came here to play for an hour. Smallest kept getting upset so I brought him inside to draw.

ClownRose's mum popped by with some plants from her garden, which she actually took away again as we have plenty of what she brought, but reminded me to visit her garden anytime and take whatever I want. Anyway, she liked the box of shredded tyres and I told her to take them. So I got rid of them. Brilliant. She brought her dog with her and the kids ran around the garden playing with her.


Huffle came home, we had a cup of tea on the porch and then we all played football till the boys bedtime. Huffle chipped a few golfballs in the garden while I practised a special crochet stitch and looked for socks. The boys both want me to make them a sock monkey after I made Huffle one last week.

I have been bitten about four or five times by Mosquitos, not as bad as last time but one on my ankle has swollen - I am trying to ignore them. I put some lotion on this evening to see if that stopped them - will see tomorrow, always feel then the day after!!! Pesky things!

Any ideas what this bug is? It was about the length of my middle finger and had a long pointy tail that looked like it might poke me!!!!!!!

 

 

 

 

1 comment:

Mary Ann Tate said...

It's a type of wasp. The end bit is for laying eggs. They are harmless.