Thursday 8 November 2012

A bullet in your trumpet?

Woke up this morning to -4* temperature outside. Ice on the inside of windows in the Sun Room (Smallest says we should call it the Ice Room in the Winter).

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

The boys finished off their jigsaw (Drew bought it for them) before breakfast.

It must have been a good puzzle to take them away from the TV

They were bundled up in hats, gloves and scarves while waiting for the school bus.

Then the sun came out and it moved to 0*, supposed to get to 6* at some point today (wow, shorts then!). I had breakfast and started a new book. I decided to read The Hobbit as Small is reading it and he keeps telling me things that are happening and I read it so long ago, I have forgotten. No doubt we will be going to see the film so I want to read it before then.

I rang the doctors to ask for the results of Smallest's swab test. They said there was no Strep found and the results had been filed away. THANKS FOR TELLING US THEN! I better stop the antibiotics! At least he is feeling much better. However, Small still has a sore throat, so I got him gargling again and gave him orange juice. Can't have him getting a bad throat again. His cast comes off tomorrow and another X-ray done. He says he can't wait to have the cast off and he feels like he can move his thumb. I think that's a good sign. Mostly he is looking forward to the Chocolate croissant breakfast after we have finished (Smallest too!).

I never mentioned the American Elections. Obama won. They follow American Politics here big time. Apparently whoever is elected has a big effect on Canada and Canadians. Something to do with trade and other stuff. I was never very much into politics in UK so I struggle to get excited about it here. But if they have elected the right President, then I am very pleased.

I got changed and then drove to the forest and met the lovely NoCustard. We had a really nice walk (we chose the shorter route because of my foot but then did it twice). It was cold but the sun was out, the leaves were crunchy underfoot and the company was brilliant.

I haven't walked in the forest since the Summer, so it was lovely to get out and get some proper fresh air. The forest floor was really bouncy too with all the leaves.

Very wintry

Gorgeous sky, beautiful trees

A good steep hill to get those legs working.

I came home, had lunch and then got ready to go out to the Garage again. They said it would take an hour so I asked if I could use their shuttle car. A man said he would be there in fifteen seconds (I asked if we got a free pizza if he was over the 15 seconds). He took me to some shops where I browsed for an hour, bought a few things for Christmas, bumped into a lovely lady (who I have arranged to meet up with next week) and then I got a call from the garage to say the car was ready and would I like to be picked up. YES PLEASE! All was good with the car. The warranty paid for the work and the part. I drove home and had just long enough to get the library books together, have a quick tidy up and go out again to collect the boys.

I parked near to school, walked across the field, and waited for the bell to go off. Someone else who I met when we first moved here was asking how we were getting on as it was coming up to a year of us being here. She is American and we agreed that the Summer to Autumn to Winter was a very quick transition and one we didn't like much. The boys and I walked back to the car and went to the library. They didn't want to stay long as I had promised Small his friend could come back with us to play. While I was in the library I looked through the plans for the sub-division houses they wanted to build in our lovely corn field. It looks horrible. So far it will only be in part of the field, but once they get permission to build in that part, no doubt the rest of the field will be built in too. I was speaking to Clown Rose today and she said that it would make our properties increase in price and that she would probably move because her house overlooks the field. That's a shame!

We came home, picked up Smalls friend and they played while I made dinner.

Here they are playing badminton (Smallest wanted to be the net but they wouldn't let him!)

His friends mum came to pick him up about an hour later as he had guitar lessons that he had forgotten about. I decided we were all going to have dinner together tonight so I made Turkey Meatballs and pasta and veggie balls for me. Just as it was about ready, Huffle phoned to say he was only just leaving. Arrrrggggghhh. So the boys had their dinner and I waited for Huffle to come home.

NoCustard gave me some chocolate for the boys for Halloween so when they finished their dinner,they wrote a thank you email to her.

When I looked through the boys bags, there was a letter saying that the school needed to know what immunisations the boys had had as they had no records and it was a legal requirement that the schools know. This annoyed me as when we put the boys in school it was a necessity that all their records (including immunisations) were up to date. So what have they done with them? Another letter was supposed to give us our times for the parent/teacher meetings. When the original form came home a week or so ago, we were told to tick our preferred times. We picked between 4pm and 6pm for both boys. Smallest's form said his time was 4pm. Small's form said 3:50. However, his teacher told Small that we couldn't have 3:50 as the time was to start at 4pm. So I wrote a snotty note back to say that we hadn't written the time on there, someone else had! What would they like us to do?

Honestly, the couldn't organise a ............. You know the rest! On Monday, Smallest came home with a note from the librarian at school saying that four of his books were overdue. I sent another snotty note back saying THE BOOKS ARE IN HIS BAG AND HAVE BEEN FOR WELL OVER A WEEK. WHAT WOULD YOU LIKE ME TO DO? Can't they speak to the kids before sending notes home? Honestly, this has happened before. Hello little boy, do you have any library books in your bag? Can I see? Oh yes there you are, can I have them as they should have been back ages ago.

Smallest said that at school today, his teacher told them all about the war and a mean man from Germany who took over the World. WAS HIS NAME HITLER? No I dont think so....oh yes it was. Then he came to Canada and died. Isn't it a good job he died Mummy? YES IT IS. BUT I WASN'T AWARE HE DIED IN CANADA! Wonder why the teacher told five year olds that? Because of Remembrance Day perhaps? Strange. Small said "Great Grandad was in the war wasn't he Mummy, playing the trumpet?" YES HE WAS. then he said "what would have happened if a bullet went down his trumpet?" I tried to explain that although he did play the trumpet during the war, he wasn't directly on the battlefield and probably wasn't anywhere near the fighting. It's funny what they imagine though!

Drew and I went for a walk. OUCH, my foot really hurts now. Too much today definitely. Huffle is going for a drink tomorrow after work so I won't be able to walk then and Drew has invited us over for a bonfire, that'll be nice.

The sky tonight is amazing (awesome). It is really clear and the stars are beautiful. I have tried to take a photo but I can't see a thing. Drew looked up and said "i think thats a planet". NO ITS VENUS I said. "yes a planet" she said. OH YEAH - DOH! Apparently they get the Northern Lights here, can't wait to see them!

When I got home, the kitchen was all over the place. "We have a problem" said Huffle. "mice!" Oh no, not again. This time they have been in the bottom part of the cooker where we keep baking tins. Damn, did I use a tin from there for my dinner? If I did, I didn't wash it first! Oh dear! New traps have been set with Rice Krispie treats this time. All tins have been washed and moved. At least our new oven will have a warming drawer at the bottom and will be sealed so they can't get in. All food has been moved if it isn't in a container. Watch this space, Huffle vs Mice.

 

 

No comments: