Tuesday 27 November 2012

Feet, Forest and Flora

Last night we watched the new series of 'Cake boss, the next Great Baker'. We love it.

Huffle went off to work this morning as quiet as a mouse. He is taking an American visitor out for dinner tonight so will be home late. The boys went off to school.

It didn't snow in the night. There is still a little bit around, and ice. I was supposed to meet the ladies for a walk in the forest this morning but NoCustard had a late night and couldn't make it. So I had a leisurely breakfast, got ready and went out. I had a foot appointment at 11:30 and wasn't too sure where it was. I left in plenty of time with the intention of doing some Christmas shopping on the way.

This was the icicle hanging beneath my car.

On the way. The glinting in the distance is Lake Ontario.

I found the foot clinic and had about 3/4 hour spare so I turned around and headed for the Mall. By the time I had walked around (without even buying anything), it was nearly time to go. I drove back to the clinic and got in there early. They saw me immediately. Give me a lovely coffee to warm me up and started the consultation.

I have plantar fasciitis (which is what I knew already), I have slight knock knees (ie my knees face one way, my shins the other) I don't have varicose veins but I could get them, I have the beginnings of a bunion but it isn't bad (thanks to my Mum and Grandma for that!!), I have good circulation in my feet, I have one Achilles which is very tight and one that is not too bad. Wow all that for $25 (which I didn't have to pay because I was referred). If I wanted to come out feeling young, sprightly and fit, that wasn't the place to go to. However, I now have a prescription for some orthotics and some compression socks (the socks will help with restless leg, veins and leg fatigue). I now have to go back to the Doctor, get him to stamp the prescription, ring the foot man and he will make some orthotics for me. I felt he was a bit of a 'salesman' but he knew I would go through the Insurance Company so probably wanted to get as much as he could. As long as they help me! I have some exercises to do with a cold coke can and I need to get some Epsom Salts and soak my foot in them. I have to give up walking on hard surfaces. Forest walking is good as it is spongy underneath. I need to do more resistance training and not the stuff that bump bumps my foot. I also need massage on it but I can do it myself if I don't want to go to a masseur. Yoga will also help as it will stretch my foot, legs, etc.

I went to the Mall and tried to do some shopping. I bought Christmas Cards, some presents for the boys and a few bits and bobs. I was going to have something to eat there but Mrs Royal told me she was going to the Forest in the afternoon so I rushed back, had a quick sandwich and then met Mrs Royal, Drew and Garfunkel. We went to a different forest today. It was gorgeous. The sun shone, but there was still snow on the ground and in places was icy.

We passed this iced pond

Garfunkel, Mrs Royal and Drew

Beautiful trees

A sculpture in the middle

More trees - I can't help it, I love them
This tree had suckers coming out of the branch. Drew told me, if it was in your garden, you would chop this off.
I don't think it matters how many times I go into the forest, I always find amazing things to take a photo of. I love it. I love the trees, the paths, the sky, the leaves (if there are any), and I love seedheads - I just love it all. Thank goodness my foot man said I could still walk in the forest! (And luckily for you reading, I only go once a week!).

We got home just in time to see the bus pull up, two smalls climb out, giggling along the drive. A soon as they realised the door was locked and I wasn't there, they turned around. I was walking up the drive behind them. We came in, emptied school bags and talked about the day. Small did some homework and then we all had dinner. We played on the Wii until it was time to take Small to Cubs. It was cold. We bundled up even though we were only in the car.

Smallest and I came home, played on the Wii, read a book and then he went to bed. Huffle came home, got changed and fetched Small from Cubs.

Wii sports - Bowling, Boxing and Baseball.
Small went to bed. We finished watching the 'Next Great Baker' and 'Cake Boss' and then went to bed and watched 'I'm a Celebrity'. Where does the time go?

 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

The new forest is beautiful, love the photos. What a beautiful area you live in. We saw Moo yesterday, she looking 4wdto seeing u ll, and all the snow!

Mary Ann Tate said...

Love the pod pics...the top right is a teasel and I used to make the cutest little hedgehog type thingies out of them but they are very prickley so they were a bit hard on the fingers:)