Monday 20 April 2015

Ay up, I've gorra bean coming through!

A very very rainy day today. In fact it rained all through the night and most of the day up until 6pm when the sun came out.

As the boys stood there waiting for their school bus I suddenly wondered if their school was shut for the day as there have been strikes today at the High Schools in our region (luckily it doesn't affect us). We left Huffle in his bunker and Grandma, Grandad and I went off to a different Mall. Perfect weather for Mall shopping.

TL: how many of those pink tutus can I fit in my new case?

Grandad went off in one direction looking for tops and Grandma and I went off in another direction looking for Smallest's belated birthday present. We found him a baseball top and managed to find a place to get Bautista's name printed on it (the best Blue Jays player) and a baseball hat.

Let's go Blue Jays

We met up with Taff and had a chat with her and then went and had lunch in the food mall. We chose a sandwich type place with a Chinese man serving. I asked for a bagel with egg and I asked what kind of egg he had (meaning poached, scrambled fried etc). He went into the fridge and bought out a jug of liquidy egg - this egg he said! He kind of scrambled it in the microwave but without touching it (it was okay). When we went to pay for it, the girl asked me if it was egg, bacon and cheese and I said no just egg, she laughed and said Oh just egg?. Grandma had a Caesar salad which was vinegary and Grandad had grilled cheese.

We came home, dropped Grandad off to do some painting and Grandma and I went back out to the Thrifty Store, Consignment Store and then did a quick supermarket shop for tea.

We drove through torrential rain on the way home. The boys were home and playing on their tablets waiting for their piano teacher. Grandma and I made dinner while the boys had their lessons. They are both coming along so well and practising hard at their recital pieces. We thought that the the recital was a week on Sunday when Grandma and Grandad were back home but it seems we were wrong and it is this Sunday. The piano teacher lives in Port Perry and we wanted to go there to test a new beer and buy a tee-shirt, so she said we could pop by her house and the boys could practice. I asked her if Saturday would be any good and she said "why don't you drop the boys off and go and have a beer". Oh yes, what a lovely lady. I've waited three years to hear someone say that to me. As she was leaving I asked her what the boys needed to wear "whatever makes you happy" she said. Hurrah.

We all had dinner and Grandma had bought us some cake for pudding which we gladly helped her eat. Smallest went off to Beavers where he did Bird Watching and Grandad and I went to the Garden Club and listened to Jeff (from the Nursery I work at) talk about Tropicals inside and out.

The talk was excellent and although I don't normally like to plant annuals because they seem a waste of money, I may have changed my mind as there are many beautiful, quick growing plants that would look great in our garden and the kids would love them.

Here is my list of look for plants for this year (in case I forget). Mina lobata which can be grown from seed and is a quick growing vine with beautiful orangey yellow flowers that the hummingbirds love. Apparently they put on their beak and the top of the flower falls on their heads, they go to the next flower and the same happens. This is how the flowers are pollinated. Amazing.

Moon vine which is a night time flowering white Ipomoea (Morning Glory). Mandevilla which is a good container plant for trailing but there are also compact varieties. Jasminum Fiona sunrise which has less flowers and more foliage - Great for height and a lovely leaf.

Sweet potato vine marguerite is the lime green leaf that everyone uses for planters here. Penisetum vertigo is a tall grass with no seed heads but grows very quickly and loves the sun. It is green when you buy it in the shops but turns dark when in full sun.

Castor bean - ricinus - grow from seed - I can't remember what this was but I know I want to grow it. Birds of paradise (no blooms) - grows very tall and has impact. Cordyline - nice in pots and can be grown as a houseplant in Winter. Musa basju banana (needs a lot of moisture and a lot of fertilizer) needs to be grown in a sheltered spot as the large leaves would not work in strong winds.

No comments: