Tuesday 30 October 2012

Clean it up!

The winds were bad last night. Over 50kmph. The power kept going off and we went to bed with a candle, mobile phones, wind up torches and IPad. The vents in the bathrooms kept whirring round sounding like the old football rattles. The power went off properly just before 11:00pm. We knew this would mean the sump pump wouldn't work and as the rain was still coming fast, we went to the basement and moved everything off the floor. Most of it was Lego of course. Boots, summer clothes in bags, cricket bats (well they couldn't get wet could they?). All clear. Then the power came on again but better to be safe than sorry!

Huffle set his alarm on his mobile as well as on his digital alarm clock. The boys slept peacefully. Once I was asleep, I slept soundly. The power was off and on all night but at least the sump was working well when we got up. No damage. In fact it was calm and it wasn't raining, so I decided to go to work. As I was waving the boys off to school, it started raining heavily. oh No work then!

So instead, I stayed home, cleaned up, and started painting the cupboards in the kitchen again. I felt like Tommy Two Days with my borrowed electric screwdriver (Thanks Mr Royal). How easy is that to unscrew many many screws. Brilliant. All the cupboard doors are off now. It looks strange. Got to finish it now eh!

I got the bread machine out (of which I have only used once in nearly one year - whoops - used to use it all the time in England). I made a normal white loaf. it worked well (not tasted it yet though). Called Drew to see if she was okay and whether she wanted me to help check the Royals house. We both went over. The door in top of their barn was swinging open. I volunteered to climb the wooden ladder (not sure it was meant for my weight) and closed it.

You can't tell from this but I was quite high up! Quick call the firemen fire brigade, I can't get down!

Then we realised they had left their parasol attached to the table outside and it had tried to fly away. The whole umbrella was ruined (snapped off and all the spokes broken).

Oh dear, Drew moving the umbrella.

We went into the house and everything was in order. The sump was working and there wasn't any water where it shouldn't be. Then as we were opening some of the blinds we noticed one of the shutters was hanging off. We walked around the outside and took the shutter off completely to stop it causing any more damage. They have tons of branches down but luckily none of them have fallen on anything else. Drew and I are going to clear the leaves and branches before they get home. I haven't found any news items for the cruise they are on today. It docked to avoid the storm a few days ago.

When I came back I carried on painting. All the painting around the door surrounds are done. It makes it easier to put things away without doors. (Small's words).

At lunchtime I went to school and watched Smallest's class parade through the school corridors in their Halloween costumes. (The rest of the school will be doing this tomorrow but his class isn't there). They all looked so cute. I spoke to a Dad and when I told him who my child was he said "oh yes, I've heard a lot about him, my daughter talks about him all the time, I asked her if he was her boyfriend". He would not be too pleased to hear that I can tell you! I pointed out which one he was (with his mask on) and I said "handsome eh?".

In case you can't tell, Smallest is on the left.

He has a great tee-shirt on today that says "Grumpy, keep clear!" Very apt.

As I walked into the school, Small approached me and said "I have just rung you, my thumb hurts and I want to go home!" Apparently someone had pushed another boy onto Small and it bent his thumb. (It wasnt an accident as the boy who pushed was laughing and didn't say sorry). The secretary said she would get the teacher to talk to him. Unfortunately it was supply teacher so I couldn't go and have a word. Hopefully they will sort it. I'm not sure he was bad enough to come home but he was very upset so I did take him. I gave him some pain relief and made him do his homework.

While I tidied the paint splattered kitchen and made my lunch, we skyped Moo. We gave her more orders, showed her the kitchen and updated her on the weather here.

Then I went upstairs to the craft room and did a bit of crafting. I helped Small with his homework too and then he went on the computer until Smallest came home.

The boys played together, on the computer, table football, something very loud with a teddy called Dave and a football in the basement (I didn't dare look!). Then I called them for dinner. I made them a monster dinner for Halloween as we are out trick or treating tomorrow and I have no idea what we can eat in the short time between TaeKwonDo and Trick or Treating.

Monster food

I read them a couple of books while they had their dinner but I felt a bit rough. Headachey, sicky. Huffle came home and we had our dinner. Then we all went down in the basement and played table football, Lego,exercise bike and punchbag.

The boys came up and watched TV before bed.

Huffle would like to thank those people that were concerned about us and sent their kind thoughts. The storm seems to be moving away now and will be heading towards Montreal.

I finished my book Theodore Boone yesterday. I have to say I was very disappointing. It ended abruptly and didn't really finish. Oh well, next book.




 

No comments: