Tuesday 23 October 2012

Lady who Lunched

Everyone left me this morning. Ahhhhhhhhhh. I had breakfast, had a shower, tidied up and then sat and knitted and watched an episode of The Good Wife (I watched it in England and then carried on watching it here, although I have missed a bit in the middle somewhere but it doesn't seem to have made a difference in the storyline). Then I got ready to go out, skyped Moo and we chatted about Christmas presents and when she was planning on visiting.

I drove to Uxbridge and met up with my knitting group. There were seven of us there. It was just like Fridays only no-one was knitting! We had a lovely lunch, a laugh and a good chat. We were there for about an hour and half and then I drove home.

I changed into my scruffs and got the paint out. I carried on painting the kitchen cupboards. At the moment they are pine. Normally I like pine, but these are orangey pine and the kitchen is really dark. So I am painting them white, and although they need a few coats, I like it. We had also thought that we might put different knobs on each door. Ceramic ones but different colours. Might look too quirky but I'd like to try it.

I painted until the boys came home, tidied up, chatted to them about their day. Small did his homework. They both checked out which Wii games they wanted for Christmas (Grinmoo asked because our Wii is English and can only play English games, I have told them not to expect them all, they found quite a few!!).

The kids had the dinner, I made stews for Huffle and I to have later.

There is a large piece of land (29 sq. Miles) which lies South and West of the Hamlet. This area belongs to the Government and for forty years they have been trying to get an airport built here. There has been a lot of disagreement about this site and obviously people around here do not want this airport built. There is an important house close to the Hamlet that housed the protest group that started forty years ago. It was thanks to this group that an international Airport was never built on this land. However, this house has now been earmarked for demolition. In its day it was a beautiful house, today it is a sad sight and very neglected. Today there is an up to date group that is campaigning against the airport still and I have been asked if I would like to stand in protest when the house does get demolished. Not to be a nuisance, just to stand there with a sign that says SHAME. I said I would do it (if I am available). Much as it would help our visitors to land in their planes directly outside our house, the noise would be unbearable. It's ironic that just before we moved here, East Midlands Airport changed their air routes to fly directly over our house. We escaped that and now there is a threat that a huge airport will be built, almost in our backyard.

This is the house at is best.

It is a shame. What a lovely house.

I will have to see if I can get a photo of it as it looks now.



Huffle came home, we ate our Stews, the boys watched TV (Top Gear again - they love it!). Drew is poorly and Mrs Royal was out shopping so Huffle and I dropped the boys off at Beavers and Cubs and then went for a moonlit walk together. Nice. We toured the whole Hamlet, there were only a few streets we didn't go down. Lots of houses were lit up, some nice and soft, other well over the top and too bright. Not too many garishly decorated houses. Some had gone to town but mainly just the odd pumpkin. Huffle had never walked around the whole Hamlet before so it was nice for him to see it.

The boys were at their meeting tonight. They had a visit from Police Officer Dave (the cub leaders brother in law). They had a great time. The policeman showed them his gun, rode around the car park for them with his lights flashing and sirens wailing. On the way home in the car they said "we didn't get to pat the Big Brown Beaver tonight, instead we got to talk to Police Dave and he showed us his baton and let us feel it". They were given pin badges, sew on badges, signed cards and posters. Police Dave is also a member of the Golden Helmets!

Lights flashing

Officer Dave

Young members of the OPD. Beware!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

If you could let me know which wii games we can get for Xmas once Moo has chosen, that would b great. Glad to c the boys enjoying beavers, the language sure does vary country to country!