Tuesday 2 October 2012

Grandma and Grandad arrive 1-2-3 English jelly!

All except for Smallest, we were woken by a hurt or distressed coyote. Poor thing was yipping and a howling for at least half an hour. I wanted his friends to help him or put him out of his misery.

Huffle went off to work feeling not 100% but not not too bad. Small seemed croaky but said he was okay although has now developed something wrong with his foot! Smallest has a problem but I won't embarrass anyone by saying what it is. Those that know him will know anyway!

I felt rough this morning but after having a hot shower, I felt more human. I had a text from Huffle saying that Grandma and Grandad's plane was early so I decided to leave earlier than originally intended. I got petrol on the way. The roads were busy but the traffic flowed freely. I got there in plenty of time. However.....................

Just as I was going up the ramp to the airport I got stopped by the Police. I wound down my window and the policeman said "this is a 50 km zone and this is what you were doing". He showed me the zapper which said '85'. Whoops. He asked for my licence and insurance. I sifted through my purse and found my medical cards, the kids medical cards, my optimum card (shoppers drug mart), debit, chocolate rewards and the finally my licence but could I find my insurance? Stupid thing is, I asked Huffle not long ago to tell me what I needed to carry in case I ever got stopped and he wrote me a list (which is still sitting in the kitchen waiting for me to deal with). The policeman said "keep looking,when you find it, bring it to me in my car". I couldn't find it and I don't ever remember seeing it (he said it was pink). I walked to his car and he shut his door and wound his window up as if I might attack him.,, I told him I hadn't got it and he said "you have to carry it, you shouldn't drive without it'. He told me to go back in my car and wait for him. I text Huffle in the meantime and he rang me back. By which time I was in tears. I wanted to tell the policeman "I don't feel very well, I'm about to pick up my in-laws, it was my son's birthday yesterday, it's nearly my birthday, I'm tired". But I said nothing, just sobbed quietly. Huffle and his team were brilliant and printed off some forms for me later. Anyway, I got two fines. One for not carrying my insurance papers and one for speeding. The fines are about $120 and I should get four points (I have never in my life got any points, not here and not in the UK - I am devastated!). However, I have sent off a form to request an appointment with the judge to appeal. Hopefully he will wipe my points and reduce my fine drastically. What a plonker. I knew I shouldn't have got out of bed this morning. The policeman actually wrote that I was doing less than I was so as to reduce the fine and points. He told me to be careful and he said "it's not many really!". I think he felt sorry for me.

I drove to the airport car park. I didn't think to check where I had parked or what level I was on, I just wanted to get to the terminal and find Grandma and Grandad. I ran to the terminal and ran around like a headless chicken. I stopped a lady and said "where is Terminal one?" Here she said, you're in it. Oh we'll that's okay then. I was early. I phoned Huffle to tell him what had happened properly.

While I was waiting I saw a dinosaur, took a a photo of him and posted a naughty note of Instagram.

 

Waiting at the airport (for the dinosaurs?) I never said that!
 

This time they came out of the correct door and I woohoood them. We hugged and went to find the car. (Which I have to say we found instantly - ha). We drove carefully, safely home.

Some lovely tree photos I took while we wandered around our garden.

Grandad started on his 'to-do' list almost as soon as his first cup of tea had been drunk.

He mended the drowned spark plug in the strimmer.

....then did a bit of strimming.

Grandma and Grandad emptied their case of goodies as I was saying "I don't think we asked for much did we?" Oh my!

PLENTY

They brought us some more bunting so that is now up with the other. It looks very festively British.

 

We sat on the front porch and waited for the boys to get home (all three of them). Huffle came home early. Lots of hugs, lots of chatter, lots of catching up, lots of cups of tea, bit of football, bit of balloon punching.

Small got on with his homework with help from Grandma, Smallest played with Grandad while Huffle and I got the BBQ on.

We all had dinner outside. We had a quick visit from Mrs Royal and Drew (just checking if I was walking and smelt the BBQ).

And this is a photo especially for Grandad's work gang. Thanks for reading.

 

The first drink of his holiday, a Canadian Cider. Grandad and I visited the Beer Store earlier today and chose a 'few' cans. He told the lady there that 'that will keep us going tonight!' She said "have a good evening!" I think she thought we were having a party or were alcoholics.

The boys (all four of them) played football. Grandma realised she has lost her medication. I rang the airline and filed a report - which was a task in itself! It was like a call centre, the questions were strange, I had to spell everything. I told him I was ringing for my Mother in Law who was visiting us here in Canada from the UK. He wanted to know the airport closest to her home. I told him East Midlands. He said he didn't have that one! When I told him my surname, he said, are the the passenger? I said No, She was my Mother in Law. He said "you have the same surname?" Yes, she is my mother in law. He seemed confused by this. Anyway, the report is filed. We have emailed Aunt Pear and asked for her help in finding out info from Grandmas Doctor. Huffle rang the lost and found at Toronto Airport but nothing has been handed in. We've obviously checked the house and bags. We rang the local pharmacy here and asked whether we can get a fax from the UK doctor to the pharmacy here. He said it didn't generally work well and we would be better to go to the walk in centre and get a prescription. Huffle thinks he is going to the docs tomorrow anyway to get his throat looked at so he will go with Grandma, however he does have to go back to work so we all have to go, so I can bring them back.

Best get a good nights sleep in tonight!

 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You will know what I mean when i say i have been too busy to comment!!! Other than tablet hiccup, hope all going well, waiting for my new charges to arrive.