Monday 29 October 2012

Windy Pumpkins

Last night Huffle and I changed everyone's quilts to the winter ones. We were all snugly warm - it was lovely. We even slept with a blanket as well. Have forgotten how horrible the cold is!

Heard on the news this morning that Hurricane Sandy is about to hit the US (11:30am here). I just noticed that our next door neighbour has removed all her pumpkins and Fall decorations and Chrysanthemums. Are they expecting really bad weather?

Smallest had a bath, I had a shower. I got washing done and Smallest played on the computer and we read books.

Smallest has been full of temper tantrums today. One minute he is being loving and helpful and the next he turns and is horrible and nasty. One hurtful comment from him today was "and I won't want a kiss and a cuddle tonight from you!" I knew he was just trying to hurt me. I have a cold that seems to come and go, and Huffle does to so maybe he is not 100%.

We went out to the shop and bought a few things (including Halloween cookie cutters).

The weather has been horrible today. Small came home and said "bad news, hurricane has 60% chance of coming here". Then Drew rang today and told me what happens if we get a power cut and it stays off, apparently it stops the sump pump working which means there is no water. She suggested we filled water bottles up for drinking and filled the bath to flush the toilet. Just checked on the web and it doesn't seem to have hit New York too badly yet although it is getting nearer. Will definitely be keeping an eye on it.

Smallest and I made gingerbread biscuits and then decorated them for Halloween. When Small came home he helped. He also told me that he would like something nice to take into school on Wednesday. Might let him take all these biscuits and make some more for us.

 

I think we did a good job. I got on with dinner and tidying the mess we had all made. The kids cleared all the decorations (and ate a lot of them!).

Huffle came home and insisted we cleared the porch of anything that moves. So after we had all eaten, Huffle and I went out and brought in the four chairs, two tables, two pumpkins, Halloween decorations, plant pots. Then we moved to the pool area and brought in all the chairs, Airbeds, noodles, nets etc that was hanging around. It was really cold and very very windy. The storm shouldn't come here now, it is on course to completely bypass us but we are getting fast winds from somewhere.

Smallest got changed into his Halloween costume and I took him to Beavers. I was told that if there was a power cut I was to come and get him immediately. They have torches there for emergencies. I suggested they just hold Smallest up at the door and let him go, if the wind is in the right direction, he'll be home in no time (especially as he is wearing his dragon cape tonight!

When I got home Huffle had. tidied and cleaned up the dinner stuff and Smallest was waiting for me to help him carve his pumpkin.

We started to get all the seeds out but Small didn't like putting his hands in.

 

Eeugggh it's horrible, can you do it?

Ahhh that's better

Pure concentration

....turn the lights out.....

Ooooh scary

Huffle went and fetched Smallest back from Beavers. He too had carved a pumpkin.

....and with the lights off

If the light was on you would see how proud he looks!

Huffle and I are sitting with our tea and gingerbread biscuit, listening to the wind whip around our house, about to watch Breaking Amish.

 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hope the winds dont do any damage and the buckets of water and torches aren't needed. Loved the biscuits and decorations. Went to a do at golf club Sat and brought home a pumpkin but not a patch on the boys'. If I have D&E tomoro will get a couple for them to do. Hope you and Huffle 100% soon, it's been a while. x