Thursday 7 November 2013

Bad Throats and Bad Cake

Terrible night's sleep. Huffle and I had really sore throats and did a salt gargle before bed. The wind was horrendous last night and all we could hear were things blowing around and the tree branches hitting the windows. Smallest had an 'accident' too, only a small one but resulted in all bed clothes being changed. After that it took us ages to get back to sleep. I woke up this morning with a cold and achy limbs and Huffle had a worse throat. He decided to stay off work today and work from home as he had three important phone calls to deal with. His throat is much better now but he is achy and feels really tired.

The boys missed the school bus. To be fair it came early and only briefly stopped outside our house but I missed doing my 8:45am shout! Huffle took them and dropped them at the Peck and Sniff as I call it (I think it's Peck and Squeal - a quick kiss and a squeal of tyres as you zoom away!!).

After a good tidy, unload and load of dishwasher, load of washer, I got ready and went out to 'Batch's' house to make cake. She wanted help to make a 'Breaking Bad' cake. This is a TV programme about a man and drugs (I am informed it is much more than that). Anyway she found a recipe for a white and blue marble cake with cream cheese frosting and blue rock candy on top. (I have never heard of rock candy either, apparantly this a Canadian term - Huffle says it tastes like Foxes Glacier Mints).

So, once at 'Batch's' house we chatted over a cup of tea, checked all the ingredients, pans, put the oven on etc and while she went to pick up her young daughter, I made a start on the cake. To cut a very long story short, we finished the cake at 3pm, had a visit from a lovely Welsh lady (we swapped numbers) and I came home. The cake did look amazing and tasted quite good too (though there were no egg yolks so to me it tasted a bit like a cake mix). Batch was very proud as she has never made a cake before. She made me a lovely lunch of butternut soup and I came home with two Mason jars full for the rest of the family plus copious amounts of ingredients she didn't use. You can find more about the cake construction here.

I drove home in the sleety rain. Huffle still felt bad, the boys were home playing on the computer and Smallest had won a prize for his poster for Rememberance Day (he has to pick up his prize on Sunday).

We all had dinner. Smallest and I played table tennis - he's getting quite good. Small and Huffle played Battleships. The boys went to bed after watching TV. Huffle and I watched Celebrity Juice and ate cake. We are feeling yucky now and will definitely be going to bed early.

 

 

2 comments:

Wonder Woman said...

Hope you are both feeling better soon xx the cake looks good too x

Mrs Rumbleskins said...

I can't believe you've not watched breaking bad!