Monday 10 March 2014

Put your feet up the chimney!

Huffle and I slept very well and woke up just because we did and not because a small person wanted something. We didn't have breakfast so just got ourselves slowly ready (actually I just sat on the sofa with my hot water and read emails and tried to prise my eyes open). Today I drove a car on English soil for the first time in 2.5 years. It felt very natural and I enjoyed my trip into the city of Leicester. My co-pilot, Huffle, was very patient and carefully told me which lane to get in and where to go.

Silver Arcade

Clock Tower

We parked the car and walked over the John Lewis bridge to meet Moo who was waiting there for us as her bus had got in early. We had a pastry and hot drink in Carluccios for our breakfast. Moo said it felt normal that we were there, and not at all strange. That is exactly how we feel. Huffle left us and went into the Leicester office (of his work) for a quick meeting and then off to the pub to meet his old colleagues. He enjoyed this but wasn't feeling 100% as he thinks he has a bad cold starting.

Moo and I went shopping. I went into those shops I haven't been to for ages and thoroughly enjoyed myself and spent money - wahoooo, though I did get a little confused about the currency and whether something was a good deal or not! I bought a sensible pair of shoes as my foot is reallly hurting and my boots are too warm for this beautiful weather. Moo bought me a lovely pair of shoes which will support my feet well. We stopped for a Lemon Split Bun at Brucciani's (a Leicester bakery/cafe that I used to go to with my Gran, Moo and later, Small and Smallest. Lemon Split Buns were my craving when I was pregnant with Small and I am surprised he doesn't look like one).

We met up with Huffle again and bought lots of thermals very cheaply and then helped her to buy an IPad mini. She is all set up now and took it home and played and I know she is using it because I just got an email from her. The kids are with her tomorrow night so they will help her too.

Huffle and I drove to Grandmas and picked up Grandad's birthday present on the way. The boys had slept very well and had a good day playing tennis outside, battleships (Aunt Pear had called round in the morning with lots of games for them to borrow while we are here), watched TV, chilled, ran aound and generally had fun. Grandma made us dinner and we sat and chatted before scooping up the boys and taking them back to the Barn. Smallest fell asleep on the way back and went straight to bed after I chased a few flies out of their room and Huffle had read to him. Small sat and watched Top Gear and a bit of University Challenge (we learnt that Polish is the third language of Britain) before going to bed. Huffle and I sat and watched Mary Berry telling us how to cook a dinner party.

 

 

6 comments:

Corinne said...

Who says Small doesn't look like a Lemon Split Bun???

famfa said...

Poor small - I'll tell him you said that xx

Sarah Tomson said...

I've got myself all out of sync by reading this last night instead of waiting until I had my coffee this morning - it's going to be one of those days! x

Unknown said...

Silver Arcade looks good, must pay a visit. Looking forward to Bradgate today. Hope Huffle on the mend soon, we wont overdo it today. Get the honey/lemon/ginger out. x

Mrs Rumbleskins said...

Ok now you are going to make ME feel homesick. Which is very strange because Leicester wasn't my home for very long. But I recognise so many of those photos. If you're going to Bradgate today say hi to the deer from us and make sure you throw some extra sticks under the bridge for us as I'm sure you'll play a game of pooh sticks xx.

Spanish Chica said...

Ahh the memories !!!