Friday 28 March 2014

Who's he? The cats father?

More snow last night and then today lots of rain. The problem we are faced with now is that the drive is a big block of ice with lots of huge puddles of rain and melted snow. The drive runs down towards the road but unfortunately there is no way for the water to escape onto the road. I was out there first thing trying to break the ice in my PJ's while the boys were waiting for their bus. I got wet through. I gave up without much luck and came in and had breakfast before getting ready to go to Knitting.

There weren't many of us at knitting this week, but the ones that were there were lovely. They told me that I have two homes, one in the UK and one here. They were very supportive and helped me to see why we are here. They promised to take me for coffee whenever I needed it. They are lovely people. I also got an invitation to stay in Vancouver for free as long as I help them identify plants in their gardem. DONE! I got hardly any knitting done today as we were all too busy talking. In fact I got myself in a right mess and poor DP had to sort me out again. I should know better than to take anything with me that needs concentration.

On the way home I popped into a supermarket (I found my lost list in the car) and bought a few things for the weekend, drove home and had my lunch in front of Mr Selfridge.

I did a bit more decoupage on Smallest's 'F' this time .......

.......and I made a Macaroni Cheese for dinner (and an extra one for Smallest to take to swimming), by which time the boys were home. We had the normal rush before swimming and headed off. Today Smallest started his new Level 7 class. It looked a lot of hard work and at times he struggled. He is by far the youngest and smallest person in his class but he did brilliantly. By the time he finished he was starving. Small played on the IPad waiting for his lesson to start. Smallest ate his dinner (which was miraculously still warm) in the reception and Small started his new class, Swim Club. They started with pressups and the plank. Within five minutes of him being in the pool I could tell he wasn't happy. He kept fake-grinning at me and I tried to ask him what was wrong but he said nothing. I guessed he wasn't happy at the amount of swimming he was being asked to do. It wasn't particularly competitive but the class was full of girls and they swam and swam and swam. There was another class going on at the same time which was Life Saving and I spoke to one of the mums (Alfies old teacher) about the class as her daughter was doing it. I wondered if Small would have preferred that class so I briefly spoke to the receptionist who said he could swap if he really wanted to. I said I would ring her next week when I had spoken to him. When he came out he rushed into the changing rooms, he was not happy! When I asked him about it, he burst into tears. He was clearly upset but his friend was close by and he didn't want him to see. The man next to him said his daughter was doing the same class and that it was hard but that if he could stick with it, it would be very good for him and would look good in the future. Poor Small I felt so sad for him. I don't know if it is because we have been away from swimming for three weeks, just had a holiday, jet lag, hunger.... Who knows. We spoke it about once home and he said if I really wanted him to he would give it another go but I know he doesn't really want to. I am just worried that it is the only exercise he gets and he is at that age where he starting to put on a bit of weight. We spoke about it again when he went to bed and he is going to find out from his school friends where they do indoor football/soccer then we will discuss the swimming some more.

Huffle made a lovely path for us in the ice on the drive and made a gully for the water to go onto the road - clever Huffle.

Smallest's party is going ahead and all invitees have replied. He is very happy and has asked for a Pokemon cake - oh joy! I thought about doing just a Pikachu but he has decided he wants the pokemon stadium and will show me what it looks like tomorrow. Also he has made a deal with one of his friends that they can eat a Pikachu Lovely. Can't wait!

Tonight I had a bit of a wobble. Yahoo was being nice to me on text, the ladies at knitting were being supportive, I had emails and comments from friends. I was upset about Small and his swimming and then Huffle made me talk about how I felt - it all got too much. I have been holding it all in for a couple of days. Silly billy. I am very homesick and I feel isolated here and I know the weather isn't helping. I don't have a solution but Huffle says it's invitable that after seeing that many people in such a short time and then coming back to virtually no-one, had to have an effect. I'll get through it and I am grateful to those of you that message me, it's nearly like having you here. It's my fault for having such good friends on the other side of the world!

 

No comments: