Thursday 24 March 2016

Freezing Coats

We probably had our 5-10cm of snow overnight and all was white when we woke up this morning. My left ear was deaf and my right nostril blocked. What's that all about? The school bus was cancelled. In fact all bus routes were cancelled which is strange because the snow wasn't that bad. However, what followed the snow was hours of frozen rain. Now this is really just rain at a below freezing temperature. Nothing strange in that? Except that as it lands it freezes, so everything become encased in ice.

The boys had a conversation this morning about whether they wanted to go to school or not (like its their decision?) and decided they would go. So we donned our snow gear again (I thought it was finished with for the year to be honest) and walked the treacherously unploughed paths to school. The snow was really crunchy where the ice had formed on top and the parts of the path and road that were clear(ish) of snow were icy and slippery. It took us a while but eventually we joined up with two of Smallest's friends and he happily walked with them while Small and I walked on ahead and discussed what we were going to do with our free day tomorrow. I forgot the kids and Huffle were off tomorrow due to it being Easter. Wow, is that early this year? Good job I bought Easter stuff yesterday. They both got to school in time which means no late slips for them (they don't seem to care but Smallest says his teacher is never happy when the kids are late).

I made the hard walk home, bumping into my Welsh neighbour on the way. She told me how there were kids who lived closer than us (like next door to the school almost) that didn't attend school when the buses weren't running. They just have a different mindset to us when it comes to attending school. Crazy! On the way home my coat became encased in ice. I'm not exaggerating, it really happened. I was wet through and all my clothes had to go in the dryer. It is quite beautiful seeing the ice on everything but I did not go out in my car, just in case.

The rest of my day I spent washing bedding, tidying, and baking. I made two different lasagnes for dinner and a Cinnamon Cake (yuk can't stand the stuff!!!). I also wrapped all of Smallest's presents.

At 3:10 I walked to school via the extremely slippy road and paths. It was much worse than this morning. I walked mainly in the road but had to jump off every time a car came. I was early for the kids finishing school and it was raining, not freezing rain this time but I got quite wet. Small came out first, before the bell and Smallest soon after. We walked with his friend again and I asked if he wanted to come home with us. We had to check with his Grandma first but she wasn't in so the two kids were left home alone. Eeeekkkkk. I couldn't wait, we needed to get home, apparently that happens all the time! We got home eventually and Smallest did his homework and Small played on the wii, after they had sampled my cinnamon cake (thumbs up from all but me!)

Yesterday Huffle and I attempted to spend our Sears points by ordering an Actifry online. First of all we couldn't remember our username or password so requested a new password for both of our usual usernames. Huffle received a change of password for his but lost it. I never recieved any despite them saying they had sent me one twice. We managed to order it and added our points card but it charged us the full amount. Huffle called them and they said it would be taken off our credit card. This morning Huffle received a notice that the transaction hadn't gone through but when he checked his credit card, it said it had. We tried to log in using both of our user names again and our passwords were wrong again. Huffle called them and the order had gone through but on my user name even though I didn't have a password and I never received a notification to change it. Oh my goodness, this company is a mess! Nothing works well, nothing makes any sense and everything is too hard to use. Saying that, our Actifry is on its way.

Talking to the boys today about their day, we found out that because Small only had ten in his class (instead of 27) they watched two films and had one hour of gym instead of half. I don't mind about the gym, that's fine, but two films. No normal work due to the fact half of his class was missing. Is that Small's fault. Shouldn't the other kids be the ones catching up because they are not there. Okay, some of the kids live further out but are the parents not going to work either? I doubt it! Smallest mainly did his normal work except for one film where it seems the whole school watched Pee Wee's Big Adeventure. Small said it was rubbish!

Huffle has filled the bath as there is mo freezing rain on the way!

 

No comments: