Saturday 26 March 2016

That pub favourite - Cucumber Pasta

Huffle had to dig my car out of the ice this morning before I drove off to my sewing class. It was hard work and the drive was so slippy he struggled to keep upright. I was supposed to help him but by the time I got out, he had finished. As I walked to the car, I slipped and the only thing that saved me falling on my back was the car door hitting my shins OUCH! I left the boys and Huffle for the morning and drove along the roads lined with incredibly beautiful icy trees. They looked like crystal with the sun shining on them. If I had time I would have stopped for better photos.

At sewing, I learned that I sewed my square all wrong but that it looked correct. Well that's something. I was given instructions on how to make right the previous one I tried to fix but which also turned out wrong. We were given our new square which is an English Piecing flower. Doesn't look too complicated but the lady in charge told me I could come in next Wednesday if I needed help (I was a bit offended though I shouldn't be, I don't have a good track record with these squares!). I went back to Suffolks house for a cup of tea(she was entertaining her in-laws so we couldn't go out for our normal tea) and we had a chat had a laugh. I didn't feel so good when I looked down or up today. I was dizzy and a bit nauseous. I wonder if it's my ears?

At home, Huffle and Smallest were getting ready for football and Small and I decided to stay at home. The football practice today played next to the football trials for the second team. Huffle said there were a few good players. Small and I had some lunch, watched a bit of Bear Grylls and then played a game of Catan. Despite me being in the lead throughout most of the game, Small won! Huffle and Smallest came home just as we were finishing. Smallest went for his shower and then played Lego Creationary with me after sulking in his room becuase I upset him (something about my glasses in the toaster cupboard!!!!). Huffle and Small, or Bodget and Scarper, drilled a hole in the KubKar for the pivot pin. Small was sent to the Man Cave to fetch the drill and came back with a power screwdriver, a socket set, the drill and when he was sent for the drill bits he came back with a smaller socket set before the drill bits themselves. Huffle thought it was all very funny but we think Small has learnt something. To be fair, I think Huffle has only just learned what everything is in there. Everytime Grandad comes, he adds something else.

The three boys watched the Engalnd Germany game and I watched some TV upstairs though they were so loud I could hear everything that was going on, including Mr Vardy's goal HURRAH.

I also sewed the sheep Pom Pom on MrsSheeps hat

This evening we went out for something to eat at the Portly Piper. It was rated #2 on Trip Advisor. It was full, busy, noisy and we were told we would have to wait for 15 minutes for a table. Huffle went to the bar to get us some drinks. We have obviously been here for too long as Huffle struggled to know what to do. To be fair, pubs here are not like pubs back home. It is all waitress service and if you want a drink you don't just stand around and drink it, you have to get a table and a table means a waitress and a waitress means a tip. Huffle did manage to order and pay for our drinks at the bar and the bartender gave him his change in 5x$1's. Obviously so he could tip her. I think you are supposed to tip every round or drink. He didn't. We were shown to our table and another waitress got the 'ump becuase she hadn't wiped it and the people before had left sticky messes everywhere. She was quite rude until I told her we had been told to sit, we hadn't just decided to sit there. Huffle had a Steak and Mushroom pie which was good (typical pub food as you would expect). I didn't have a big choice so I had a Vegetarian Penne but it was really boring and dull. No sauce as such just an olive oil and lemon and instead of courgette as boasted on the menu, it came with cooked cucumber. I didn't complain but cooked cucumber!????! Small had Fettucini Alfredo and the cheese sauce wasn't good. Smallest had a pizza which was okay. I think Grandad would like it here but I think we need to order pub grub next time. It was next to a Stand Up Comedy Club and the next act in there was "Hacksaw Jim Duggan".

The ice has pretty much gone and the trees are back to normal though there are a few branches hanging a bit lower, bent by all the ice earlier. We had a pink sky this evening and are hoping for a lovely day tomorrow. The boys want an Easter Egg Hunt but no clues this year.

 

No comments: