Wednesday 2 March 2016

It's a Chip Truck

Huffle woke me at 6:45am to tell me my side of the bed had eaten the quilt again (Pah) and that he was going to shovel the snow off the drive. Really? At 6:45am? When he doesn't normally get up before 7:45am? Why? I couldn't get back to sleep so that wasn't a good start to my day! First thing I did when I got up was to check whether the buses were running. It had snowed quite a lot and the roads were covered but it didn't look as bad as 15cm. The bus website told me that Zones1, 2 and 3 were cancelled but all schools were open. A lot of the kids here (I guess some of the parents too) don't bother much about school when it's a snow day. Ours have always gone, I suppose we are of the mindset that the kids go to school if the school is open - job done. Funny that Small informed me only half of his class turned up this morning and after lunch, half of them went home. I don't understand! I had a text from the hairdresser, whose kids use the same bus as ours, asking (I thought) if the bus was cancelled and I told her it was. Much later I found out she asked if the bus was running so I caused a bit of confusion in her house this morning.

The kids and I walked to school. Smallest wanted to get there as close to the start of school as possible so he could continue his 'reading contract' and Small didn't want to go at all. Three cars passed us with kids from the school in, parents that I knew too, but none offered us a lift. I didn't mind as the walk was nice if not a little difficult on the roads (paths not ploughed) and a tad cold. I left them at the school crossing and continued on to my exercise class. My weights were too heavy, my yoga mat too awkward and I forgot my socks. Exercise was good today but tiring after my early morning walk, plus I hadn't had time for my coffee and I only had a small piece of toast. Although I got offered a lift home, I walked (good for my 10,000 steps which I achieved mid afternoon today).

MrBasement and Jim continued with the tiling in the kitchen and finished it off. Grouting is going to be done tomorrow when the kids have taken out all the spacers for them. Huffle mentioned it would look like a chip shop if we tiled to the ceiling last night and now all I can think of is a chip shop when I look at it. MrB and J now call it the Chip Truck because that's more Canadian. They fixed Small's door that won't shut properly, looked at his fan (another project for another day), changed the handles over on the fridge so it opens the other way (into the kitchen now) and fixed a bit more of the hole above the fridge.

Huffle completely cleared the snowy drive all by himself in between working. I made a Carrot and Lentil Soup, a 4 seedy bread and a rice pudding as well as various cups of tea and coffee.

I drove to school and picked up Small's Tuba and then parked away from the school car park because I didn't want to get in the way of he school buses. Omg what an idiot I am sometimes. The whole point of me being there to pick the kids up was because the school bus wasn't running!!!!! All the boys watched the football (Stoke v Newcastle) and Smallest did his homework which he then finished after his basketball session.

I took the kids to basketball tonight after we had dinner. Three long hours, one driving there and back and one hour each. It was the last session. I felt sorry for Smallest as he absolutely loves it and the coach is amazing but his class is full of kids who are a handful, don't listen, mess about and whose parents treat them like babies or leave them there unattended. It's infuriating. He wants to do the next lot of sessions but we might see if he can join Small's class instead as he holds his own in that age group. Small did well but one of the boys in his class got injured and the coach spent quite a lot of time with him which was a shame.

This photo of Smallest and his football friends is in one of the papers here. They were at a party.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY YAHOO - I HOPE YOU HAD A FABULOUS DAY xxxxxx

 

No comments: