Monday 16 March 2015

A plethora of wildlife

During the night, Huffle jumped out of bed in a panic after hearing an alarm that he thought was coming from downstairs. We both stumbled down to the basement but there was nothing. I call that a rude awakening! That is why I slept in this morning and missed my yoga class. Whoops.

After breakfast and a knit, the boys and I went out for a nature walk to the lake. We took with us some wild bird seed and stopped to the feed the little chickadees on the way.

The place where we go to walk is very popular but not many people walk along the trail we go on and if they do, not all of them get to the lake. This is why we love it here. The boys were so impressed with the birds landing on their hands and absolutely loved the birds feeding.

We got to jump in puddles, crack ice and see not only chickadees but wild turkeys wandering along the bare bits of ground. We had deer pass over our path and watched a hawk diving down to find food.

As we were nearing the lake, a family of very noisy boys came quite close, scaring the birds away. We hoped they wouldn't be joining us lakeside but as we got there and my boys started feeding the chickadees again while I was at the waters edge taking photos, the noisy family boys joined me and started throwing rocks next to me and shouting in my ear. Then they noticed my boys feeding the birds and the parents said "go and feed the boys look like those boys". My boys were not happy at all because they continued to be noisy and scared the birds off again, we decided to walk along the beach a bit to a tree where we climbed it and sat on top of a big low branch eating our picnic. It was just lovely.

Smallest found a stick and beat the ice and snow with it and we went back towards the birds and fed them again. Noisy family disappeared and we then had the whole trail to ourselves. Smallest got a bit upset because Small got all the birds landing on him. I said it was something to do with the smell, either Snall smelt just right or Smallest smelt too bad! When we got back to the car park we walked another small trail where there were many many people feeding and then watched the ducks landing on the smaller part of the lake.

We came home and I made dinner while the boys played on gadgets.

After dinner we watched all our Disney photos which took ages!!! I wonder why?

Super first day of March Break.

 

No comments: