Wednesday 4 March 2015

The power of reality

We sat in the airport last night waiting for our flight that just disappeared off the list of flights, meanwhile we were getting messages from home saying that the power was down in The Hamlet. Huffle got called up to the front desk and was asked if he would move to accommodate a family of three who couldn't sit together. Huffle was outraged that he was being asked to split up his own family of four to help out another family, and in front of the woman herself who was beside herself! Out of a whole flight of people they chose to move families rather than single people or couples. The two people trying to organise this chaos were in their early twenties, obviously no children and no idea what it means to split a family up, let alone a family that have been delayed for 2.5 hours with two children who are up way past their bedtimes. Huffle told the airline crew to pick other people.

Finally our plane arrived at 10pm and we boarded and finally flew at just before 11pm. Smallest slept most of the way and Small tried but couldn't get much at all. Huffle sat next to a man who snored the entire journey and I was kept awake by the woman in front whose IPad flashed on and off and on and off the whole time!

When our plane stopped it couldn't get into its parking place because of the snow so we had to wait for it to be cleared and then we had to wait even longer to get one of those tunnelly things to allow us to get off. One good thing this time about the customs bit was that now we have Permanent Residency cards, we just put them in the scanner and pretty much go. No waiting in line for ages, no odd questions about where we have been, where we live, why we live here. HURRAH! Our bags were waiting for us and we got out fairly swiftly after we worked out where the monorail was to get to our car. I fell asleep on the way home but I think the journey was pretty good.

It was 4am before we got into our house and we had power. Apparently our Hamlet didn't lose power yesterday at all, it was mainly in the city and the towns nearby.

The temperature was 0*. Not very cold, not too much more snow and a bit of melt. The drainpipe on the barn has broken off and is dangling precariously. (It's on your list Grandad).

Huffle had to work in the bunker this morning and got up around 8am. The boys were told if they got up at 7am I would send them to school but if they slept on, I would keep them home. They got up around 9am. I slept until 8am and then went back to sleep until 10:30. After breakfast, the boys cleared the snow from the drive while I put the washing on and emptied the suitcases and tidied away. I left the boys with their gadgets and went off to Pottery, though I was very tired. We had a power cut just before I left that stayed off for a couple of hours which caused Huffle some headaches as he was trying to work!

Today we made a mug. It was an unusual mug and I was going to make mine into a jug until she told us we were making milk jugs next week (I am very happy about this because I have been looking for a pottery milk jug for ages - one that holds the bags of milk here). It was very therapeutic and I could have happily stayed there all day.

When I got home the boys and I played a few games and when Huffle 'got home' he opened his birthday presents that we couldn't take with us and had dinner.

I can't say I've missed any Disney characters today!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY GRANDAD (26 today!!????!!!)

2 comments:

Spanish Chica said...

Love the mug! Very creative, make sure you post pictures of the jug.Don't know how you cope with the cold a nice 20 degress here xx

famfa said...

Thanks, will do. I don't cope too well with the cold some days but I think you get used to it. Ooooh 20* sounds perfect xx