Monday 31 October 2016

"We've got full size chocolate bars"

Everyone slept well and everyone is feeling okay. The boys went to school for a morning of work and an afternoon of partying (well Smallest, Small had to work) It was a cool morning but with sunshine and certain times it was lovely but mainly it was cold. Huffle worked.

The Grade 8's don't dress up at school for Halloween

I went to The Royals and did a couple for hours of gardening. I dug out Golden Rod, cut down sumac, peonies and ferns and planted bulbs. My hamstrings were killing me by the end. Mrs Royal gave me a bag of crab apples, a jar of pickled bettroot and a recipe for Crab Apple Jelly.

The Royals old tree
Lovely day for shadows

Huffle and I had a very quick lunch together before I went out for a walk with ClownRose where we bumped into the school Halloween parade. We walked some more and then bumped into the parade again. We stopped for a chat with some other mums and then came home.

The parade.
One of the houses who entered the Halloween contest. Wow!

This afternoon I stuck the gummy worms in the jelly, made some Halloween spider Lemon and Poppy Muffins and started to put dinner together.

All the boys watched the Stoke game (they won 3-1) and I let them eat their dinner in front of it while I sat in the kitchen and watched Poldark.

We got dressed for Trick or Treat and walked down to The Royals. We scared them and collected our 'candy' and came back home so Huffle could drive us into the middle of the Hamlet to continue our Halloween stuff.

The houses were decorated brilliantly again and we were properly scared by a man sitting on the porch pretending to be doll. The boys went to the doors and we held back a bit, enough so people could see us but not to collect sweets. One or two asked if we wanted any.

One house in particular is known for giving out full size bars of chocolate and when we got to the door the owner said "we've got full size chocolate bars" very smugly. We found this very funny. Not only did they give the boys them but they announced it first. Excellent! Another house gave me a chocolate martini which was very welcome and very warming. Of course, we had to go to the famous 'carpers' who always put on a good show, normally a haunted house. Small and I usually keep back and let the brave two go ahead but today it was set up like a scary Christmas Halloween. I swept their drive a bit with my broom and got a bag full of sweets.

We had a very good evening and walked 5km in all. With aching feet and bags full of goodies, we gave up and came home around 8:30pm. While Smallest cleaned his teeth we sorted the stuff out. We had a full table. I won't be buying any crisps for the rest of the year.

 

 

No comments: