Tuesday 15 April 2014

The Queens Strawberries

The forecast for today was snow. When we woke up this morning we had had snow and it was still snowing when we got up. It was also cold.

The flakes were really huge and it settled very quickly. The bus came though and the boys went off to school. Huffle worked from home.

I went off to work. Last week we were told to prepare to work in the garden but there was no way that was going to happen as they had more snow than us (and they are only five minutes drive up the road).

Today I replanted Alpine Strawberries for the Royal York. These were the same variety that were grown for the Queens last visit here and used to garnish her food. (I shall add that to my CV). I also replanted Echiums, Pelargoniums and Broccoli. I got to bring Broccoli and cabbage seedlings home. Wish that veg bed was ready for planting (in other words, GO AWAY SNOW). When we went in for coffee, MrsM hugged me as she knew I would not be happy about more snow. I left just after midday and came home and had lunch with Huffle.

While he carried on working I made a Leek and Potato Soup and a Seedy Bread and a Rhubarb, Apple and Strawberry (not the Queens Strawberries) Crumble at the same time as watching the Crimson Field.

The boys came home, Huffle still worked and homework was done and forms read and signed. We had dinner and then we tried a new tactic for bedtime routine. Instead of reading and being silly at bedtime, we did the reading and silliness an hour before, but it didn't really work because the boys were too silly so we left them and played table tennis. I think the kids are getting excited about Easter already. They have already asked if they can have an Easter Egg Treasure Hunt with clues.

 

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, that was nice to wake up to this morning wasn't it, bleurgh!!

Hugs
Brenda

Mrs Rumbleskins said...

I know you must be so sick of it but your snow pictures make it look sooo pretty!

Unknown said...

Do they learn why we celebrate Easter at school? Looked at forecast ur not down for any snow, so you can soon put the soup maker away and get the icecream maker out! Hardly dare mention we have had another warm and sunny day, went to golf club and sat outside for a couple of hours, nice. x

famfa said...

Small said no. Smallest said yes (I have blogged his definition). No more snow forecast - warmer weather soon xx

famfa said...

Ummmmmmmm x