Monday 14 April 2014

Toil, Soil and Toad in the Hoile

1001st post - no don't worry I'm not going to say that every day that could get tiresome.

A warm day that went to very windy to very rainy and tomorrow we have been forecast 3-5cm of snow. What a crazy silly weather we have here! I skyped Moo and she said they had had a couple of really nice days. Pah! not fair!

Huffle and the boys went off to 'do their thing' and I drove over 33 km away (it seemed like a really long way as the road was completely straight) and met one of my knitting friend's mum. She asked me if I would help out with some gardening. Her exact words were "would you like to help us out getting the garden ready for Spring?". In reality what she meant was clearing a huge patch of very established plants and moving them to another part of the garden which was still grass and needed digging over before the moved plants could be replanted. I liked the lady and we agreed on our ways of gardening. We moved quite a lot of plants and we dug over a biggish new bit, which was like a muddy squelchy bog as the snow has only just gone (just in time for more). The place we are taking the plants from is going to be landscaped in three weeks time and will be practically bulldozed so we are trying to rescue as many things, including lots of bulbs, before it happens.

I came home with a dogwood and was told I could take anything I wanted home with me in the future. It is a very casual arrangement and I can go back whenever I want. It doesn't matter if anyone is there or not as I now know what she wants doing. I worked very hard for two hours with a drink break and we finally stopped due to high winds and the threat of heavy rain.

I drove home and got some shopping on the way, despite the fact I was covered in mud and in my gardening clothes. How very Canadian! I skyped Moo and we chatted whilst I had my lunch then I made Oatmeal Cookies for the boys (Small's request) and prepared Toad in the Hole for dinner, by which time the boys were home.

Small did his homework and Smallest complained of tummy ache and a headache. I know what he means, my head has been hurting for two days but I think its the pressure. We had a storm last night and I think there is another one forecast tonight.

The boys played on gadgets after they set the table for me and we all ate when Huffle came home. I had a long hot soak in the bath to ease my tired back while Huffle painted the kitchen bits up high. the boys went off to Beavers and Cubs. Smallest came back with some seeds he had planted of Beetroot, Cucumber and Sunflowers and Small was doing stories and telling them to the group.

Both boys in bed, a candle is burning to get rid of the yucky paint smell and a pot of tea awaits us with a cookie each. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yay, more snow! We got three inches last night, couldn't ****ing believe it, lol!!! It was 24C yesterday! We dodged the weekend storms, just had a couple of sharp showers, but it was very windy, nice and warm though. The only good that came out of last nights snow was that we have now officially broken a 130 year old record for the snowiest winter in Metro Detroit, we're now at 94.8", the old record was 93.6". My magnolia was covered in buds at the weekend, hope the cold doesn't damage it.

Hugs
Brenda