Tuesday 7 October 2014

Faster Shoes

Bee and Begonia

Everyone overslept again - don't know why but I know that Small interrupted my dream and I was waiting for my dinner! This morning was a mad rush to get the kids off to school while Huffle worked from home as he had a late afternoon into evening conference call (which actually turned out to be cancelled as he wasn't needed on the call!!!!!!). I went off to the Garden Centre and worked mainly in the greenhouse making the Rosemary plants for the Royal York look good and then in the walled garden putting in Coreopsis and Shasta Daisies. I also purchased a few sale plants for our garden which included an Aruncus, Monkshood and an Amsonia. I got home about 1pm expecting to find the cooker but it hadn't arrived and there had been no call saying it would arrive.

Huffle had got a few jobs done including starting to close up the pool (this is the first year we decided to do it ourselves), paint the climbing frame and clear the barn ready for putting stuff away. It is only Autumn but the weather today made it feel like Winter will be here sooner than we would like.

I ran off after lunch to get some food shopping and take back the annoying bin that doesn't open properly and then came home with a few minutes to spare before running off to school to talk with Small's teacher. This is an English friend of ours who became a full time teacher this year so I know her quite well but I hadn't spoken to her since she had become Small's teacher. Then I rushed off to football. Small was playing in a co-ed (girls and boys) game against another school of all boys. The other team seemed much more confident and together but our team played well and held their own. It finished 3-2 to the other team. Smallest played football with his friends while the game was going on and at one point I caught him playing in the muddy grass with just his socks on (the ones I knitted him too) (no shoes I meant, not naked but for socks!).

On the way home Small informed me his shoes had broken. Back home the cooker had arrived without prior warning and the Gas Fitter said he would try to come but it might be tomorrow and he would call first. He didn't call and we had to go out to get Small some new trainers and go out for dinner as we had no stove!

We went to the only place close that I knew would measure his feet and fit according to how he walked. We ended up spending much more than we would have liked (well than Huffle would have liked anyway) but the man was so knowledgeable and he could tell exactly where Small's feet were problematic. While we were there we thought we might as well get some new shoes for Smallest too and it seems his feet are worse than Small's. So that's another appointment for Smallest (plus Huffle needs to get his checked out too). Anyway the boys are now kitted out in brand new trainers that do not bend in the wrong places and will help their silly feet. They have promised us they will look after them too.

Because our cooker is not yet connected, we went out for dinner and taught Smallest how to tie his laces while we waited. Both Huffle and I think we learnt at a much earlier age but I guess we didn't have so much Velcro in those days.

Once home, the kids went to bed and we tried to make a pot of tea by boiling the water in the microwave but it was disgusting so we had to have wine instead (actually I did, not Huffle).

I called the Gas Fitter who had only just home (9pm) and he said he had to finish his job off tomorrow but would try to get to us in the afternoon (arrrrggggghhhhhhhh no coffee? No tea??? I can't survive on wine!............can I????).

 

 

No comments: