Thursday 30 October 2014

mélanger le beurre........

Today I went to school for the morning and volunteered as part of Chef a l'ecole. This is where a Candian/French Teacher/Chef comes into the classrooms, makes all the children speak French and teaches them to cook. Today they learnt how to make Raspberry Tarts and Blueberry Tea. My job was to help set up before the kids came in which meant I had to be there before 9am, keep an eye on what the kids were doing and help them if they didn't understand or needed assistance, put the tarts in the oven and get them out and serve them. Easy Peasy? Not really. It is a very visual based learning and I could actually understand most of what she was saying because of the way she said things and the actions she did. However some of the kids didn't do so well. The making of the tarts was fairly straightforward (apart from when my group were supposed to make 24 equal blobs of pastry and we had to start again!). Each group was split into three girls and three boys and each one had a different task, including listening and repeating back the French she said to them. I had two groups to help, Small's group and another one. In between instructions we listened to music and played the spoons (part of the instruction!?). Putting the tarts in the oven proved difficult as the tarts were in silicon and the oven racks were spaced out so much that the silicon fell through and some of the filling spilt. Me and another mum managed to get them in the oven and then stood around waiting for them to cook. Eventually they came out scolding hot. Try taking silicon out of an oven wearing thick silicon gloves with the filling of the tarts spilling on the bottom of the hot oven! They were quite yummy though. Pastry with a blob of raspberry jam and a mixture of egg and brown sugar over the top. I didn't get to try the blueberry tea but Small said it was yuk! I should have finished there at 10:50 but I was still there way past 11am so I missed my forest walk with NoCustard.

I came home and made a start on the chilli which I made in the Slow Cooker. It seemed too small for the huge Crock Pot so while I was out picking up provisions I got some more mince and made double the mixture. It can always be frozen. I also picked up a few Christmas presents while I was out.

Back home I made a vegetarian chilli for me and had lunch whilst watching "Missing" on the BBC Iplayer. Very good.

I finished off the Halloween Jelly and made some Lemon and Poppy Seed Muffins (promised to make these for Grandma and never really managed it when she was here). I iced them and thought they looked a bit 'witchy' so added some chocolate spiders.

When the kids came home they both did homework, had showers, practised piano and added enhancements to tomorrow's Halloween costumes.

This is Smallest's Rememberance Day Poster (last year he won 2nd prize). Small left his at school so hopefully will be finishing it there.

Huffle went to get his new Winter Tyres for his car. It was supposed to be a quick job but we think MrSnail's brother was working there. He finally got home - now he is ready for the snow forecast on Friday. The past Halloweens that we have had here (this is our third) it has rained so it will be nice if it doesn't rain, though perhaps not snow either!!!!

The chilli's worked well and were not too hot for anyone. The boys had their jelly and loved it. The muffins are for school lunch tomorrow. Maybe Huffle and I will have one with our tea later.

 

 

 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Strange reading you are ready for snow, it gives mid 60's here, and was gorgeous yesterday, unlike drizzly Wednesday when CB and I collected our new bikes! Happy Halloween Canada family. x

Anonymous said...

Ugh, we have snow in the forecast today too, it's currently raining though. Love your scary spider muffins! Too early for winter tyres here but we did tidy up the garage so I can get my car in again.

Hugs
Brenda