Friday 3 October 2014

Lost in Mower Land

Small didn't wake up at his usual 7am but stayed in bed until 7:45am. Is this the start of a teenager (not quite) staying in his stinky pit till lunchtime (ahhh I remember it well). Huffle worked from home and I went to knitting. There were two new people and a newish one there today so I managed to get a whole rib done on some Thrummed Mittens for a Christmas present (starting early as I have much to do). I also managed to get a phone number for a Gas Fitter who I called as soon as I got home. He couldn't do the job but gave me a number of a man who lives just up the road from us. He popped round in the afternoon and ooh and ahhed at having to put the piping through our lovely new walls and ceiling in the basement and then came up with a solution to go from the outside instead. Much neater and a lot less work for us to get tidied up, plus because he lives very close, he can come after one of his out of town jobs. The downside is that we need to buy and fit (or he will) a new cooker hood that extracts to the outside instead of the one we have now that just fans it around the kitchen - CO2 oh yes I remember that problem with our faulty boiler in The Village UK. We do not want that again!

Although the weather was much cooler today, the sun did come out for part of the day. However by the afternoon it rained and carried on through the evening. We put the sofa on Kijiji (like EBay) under the free take away section and had lots of looks and a few passers by with trucks but in the end the dustbin men took it - just stuffed it in the back and drove away. So everything apart from the wire from the back garden is gone. We will put it back out on 'Garbage Day' in a couple of weeks and hopefully they will take it.

I skyped Moo and showed her my knitting and we had a giggle (Small had sent her some smiley faces from my phone unknown to me and she was replying but I had to give her a lesson on how to get the Emoji keyboard). I had several missed calls to Grandma and she had some missed ones to me - I found your glasses Grandma!

I managed to get a bit more knitting done whilst watching Diwnton Abbey (goodness I had forgotten about Downton and no-one had reminded me - naughty UK friends - are none of you Downton fans?.

When the boys got home there was a mad dash for swimming again, finding shorts and goggles and deciding who was going when and with whom. I took Smallest and sat and watched him swim, in the meantime Huffle took Small later and watched him while I took Smallest home and fed him and got everyone else dinner ready. Smallest fell at school again and re-scraped (for the third time) his yucky knee. The Supervisor at swimming put a couple of rubbish plasters over the top of my spray plaster (which is also rubbish and painful to spray on) for swimming it it was all hanging off and gooey by the time we got home.

Two new birthday presents arrived and the heavy rain

Huffle rang the mower man today and left a message saying in a resigned tone "hello am I ever going to get a mower? From Mr Hall who is lost among his lawn" (ok that last bit wasn't true). MrSnail rang back later saying that the part was still (yes still, four weeks later) missing and that the mower he was going to loan us to cut our lawn of four weeks growth had got a problem with the belt and he had to order one. The belt would be arriving (well let's hope the pixies that stole the relay switch from ours four weeks ago don't intercept the truck containing the belt) on Monday and then he could bring it to us. OMG! How does this man make ANY money? Our lawn is not looking too bad considering, though Grandad did strim it and we also borrowed Mr Royals once.

 

1 comment:

AA said...

Science editor: It's the CO you don't want (carbon monoxide). CO2 (Carbon dioxide) is what you breath out.

xxxx