Tuesday 6 October 2015

2nd Place

While the boys were standing outside waiting for the bus, Smallest noticed that our scarecrows had received a rosette for 2nd Place Boys. We entered under the Family but somehow (probably lost in translation) we ended up in boys (well my name sounds like a boys and the rest of the house is all boys so I guess that's fair). We are very pleased especially we have had a lot of comments recently. One saying that it was very appropriate for this Hamlet to have two drunken scarecrows!!!!

I went to work this morning and we spent half of our time in the greenhouse clearing old geraniums and taking cuttings of a curious plant that can only be described as a bit like tiny shrimps hanging from a fuchsia style leaf. I can't remember the name except that it sounded like a Gopher! At coffee time we had some of Jan's delicious 'just shortbread' which is not a fair description as it was yummiliciously scrumptious. We then divided garlic bulbs and cleared the potage and planted them. We also cleared the boys Squash garden and I brought home five different squash for them, plus some huge tomatoes, kale, basil, a purple cabbage (Colin will be pleased) and eight Pelargoniums (indoor geraniums). Two of them are called Baby Harry and MrsM thought they boys would like them! I had some cut flowers from the Salvia the boys grew in the summer too.

The Squash Garden as hit by Frost
Fall flowering alliums

Back home we all had lunch. Grandad was in his compost corner and had cycled to the four corners and the beer store for a new stapler to go with the staples he bought wrong many times the other day (the saga continues for Staplegate). We now have the resident Pot Cardinal sitting next to Pauline.

I'm 'appy Marg

After dinner we left Huffle finishing his work and I took G&G to Home Depot (B&Q) where we bought some shelving for the pantry to replace the shelf that fell down and some other bits that Grandad needed. I picked up a tile sample to see if it would go with the proposed kitchen. While we were in there someone stole my trolley while I wasn't looking. I know who it was and I pointed at him but of course he was oblivious.

I thought this was a new brand of fishermans friends.

At home Huffle was getting ready to go out as tonight he went to the Mark Knopfler concert in Toronto. This was his Christmas Present from G&G. I don't like MK so he had to go on his own. He wanted to avoid the traffic so left about 3:30pm which gave him about 4.5 hours in Toronto before it started. I think it's because he needed time to get his cowboy gear on (I always joke that MK is country music or line dancing rubbish). I'm sure Huffle will have a wonderful time.

Grandad shut himself away in the pantry and fixed the shelves beautifully. We made soup for dinner and Small and I went to the library to pick up our books we ordered.

Naughty Grandad

 

 

No comments: