Thursday 1 October 2015

'Ave you done a Peggy?

HAPPY 12th BIRTHDAY SMALL. When I was pregnant with Small 12 long years ago, he ended up being over two weeks late and I was induced. He still didn't want to come out and I spent the night in hospital and most of the rest of the day. He was just too cosy. He still likes to be cosy these days. In fact (and he won't thank me for writing this down so please don't mention it to him) the other night when I pulled his covers over him and said "let's make you more cosy", he looked at me sleepily and said "I know what my super hero name could be - COSY BEAR". He remembers nothing but we keep calling it him anyway.

Here he is about 3 years old at the zoo with his Daddy. He knocked on the window and said to the monkey "hewwo nunkey, my name is Ae James Hooool". Awwwwwww

Small decided he wanted to save his presents until he got home from school which made perfect sense as the mornings are a bit of a mad rush. He did open his cards though with his breakfast. He was reading one of his cards out to us and he got a frog in his throat. I shouted "his voice is breaking" but he said it was just a small cough. Ahhhhhhhh. Smallest had the responsibility of sitting with MissMolly on the bus today (she is only four and has just started Junior Kindergarten and as he has known her since she was a baby, and she gets on the bus just after him, he said he would sit with her, take her to her playground and collect her after school again). I had a text from her Mum that thanked us and said that MissMolly was very happy to see him waiting for her this morning.

After breakfast, I got all the cake ingredients out and then realised we were out of butter so had to quickly drive to the shop before I made a start on Small's birthday cake. Everything went swimmingly. The cake was made and cooled with extra mixture made into cup cakes with a secret piece of chocolate in each one. The chocolate butter icing was made. Grandma was on hand for clearing and washing and general assisting.

Huffle worked hard on reports and lots of phone calls and in between put up the birthday bunting. Grandad did pallet painting and cutting and general work on Compost Corner Mark II. We saw him briefly for lunch and then he was gone again.

The decorating of the cake was done in the afternoon. Candles added, balloons blown up and extra M&M's thrown around. The table was prepared with presents, cards, cake, more cake and cookies. Lots of clearing and washing up and then Grandma and I had a half an hour watching Downton Abbey before the kids came home.

Small had forgotten about his cake so was surprised and he liked it. Both boys were trying to work out how it was all put together.

They sorted their bags and then when Grandad was summoned in from the barn, we sat and watched Small open his presents.

Smallest made Small a birthday Milk Shake

One of them was a Wii U Disney Infinity and another was the figures to use on it so of course the kids wanted to go and play as soon as possible. All the boys (big and little) went into the basement and played table football while their game was being updated and then tried to set it up. Grandma has been practicing playing Happy Birthday all day on the piano. I played some chords and we played and sang to Small - what a treat.

Grandma and I made pizza for dinner. We all ate pizza, three different flavoured jellies and ice cream and then we lit the candles and sang Happy Birthday before eating a small piece of cake. We played Pass the Parcel with forfeits (family tradition). Smallest and Grandma had to shout "we love you Cowboy Kev" out of the front door. Three forfeits are being saved for another day (putting kettle on - Grandma, Sweeping floor - Smallest, Dustpan and brushing - Grandad). Small had to mime a film and Huffle had to sing along while I played piano (tough). Grandad was upset that we didn't play musical statues so me and him had a quick game of Musical Newspaper by ourselves. I won!

The boys (little) went and finished the new game while we cleared up and then we watched a birthday video from Santa.

Yesterday when we took Smallest to basketball, Small and Grandma were watching the baseball (in which the Blue Jays won the league). Grandma saw one of the players spitting (they do that a lot and I have to say I don't like it) and she said "if I see him spitting one more time, I'm calling his Mother!". Silly Grandma.

 

No comments: