Wednesday 7 October 2015

The camber is with me

Huffle had a wonderful time at his concert. Thank you G&G for his birthday present.

Last night I couldn't sleep and I prevented Huffle from sleeping too. I felt sick, I had tummy ache and I was hot and cold. Not sure what that was all about but it carried on this morning, so much so that after I had made the kids breakfasts and lunches, I went back to bed. I even missed aerobics. I think I managed a 20 minute sleep after all the noise of the early morning traffic and kerfuffle.

Today was Huffle's day off and he spent half the morning with Grandad in compost corner. I had some breakfast but couldn't stomach any coffee (I must have been poorly). We decided to go out late morning to get some fresh air and a meander and went to the Toronto Botanical Gardens.

Art, plants, water, bridges and Grandad
Lovely meandering paths, fall colours and babbling streams
Beautiful reflections, fabulous colours and Lord of the Rings tree roots

It was a gorgeous day with temperatures reaching 20* and bright sunshine, until it clouded over and we had a tiny teeny bit of rain before it brightened up again. The gardens were lovely and the trees were turning their lovely autumnal shades.

Trees, art, flowers, insect houses and Grandma sitting demurely
All made from plants

We saw a few interesting people today. King Rafiki (or Hamid Kazai as Grandad called him), a lady who took numerous photos of herself standing next to an Acer with her selfie stick, a man who was half talking and half meditating and a man doing his exercises in a wooded area (Grandad thinks he got his instructions from the tree).

Grandma was talking to a squirrel. A tree I liked. Me being selfie woman. A rock fountain. Grandad looking at the TBG compost and King Rafiki

Grandma was heard to say "the Camber is with me" meaning that the various slopes and undulations were aiding her speedy walking (in yer dreams Grandma says Smallest) and we had a lovely walk around, a bit of a sit and look at people and a wander around the veggies. Grandad was most pleased with the compost arrangement and decided ours was bigger than theirs. However theirs did have internal doors but we won't mention that.

Lovely Ginkgo Tree (I need one of those). Bill and Ben lady (Grandad and Huffle want to get me some dungarees for my gardening). The TBG sign as were leaving

Feeling a bit peckish, we headed to the car and drove along the most prestigious postcode in Toronto called The Bridle Path which is characterised by the multi-million dollar mansions. Prince was once reported to have a owned a house here. The houses and plots were HUGE. Eventually we came across an area of shops and restaurants and parked up. After a short walk we found a place where we sat and ate before pigging a small (and it was small, served by a man who didn't speak or have a sense of humour it seems) ice creams.

Not sure how to pronounce the name of the sushi place. Grandad found a new friend

We drove home and I had to call the school to ask for Small to ring me as we were not going to be home in time for them getting off the bus. They didn't mind the because they played football, though Small ll was a little put out because he had homework to do.

Grandad showed me his compost project (looking very good) and we discussed the pantry project before he carried on with his work. Huffle helped Small with his homework and then played on the Wii with Smallest. Grandma and I decided we were going to Ikea tomorrow to look at our proposed kitchen.

Very happy with his work

When we got home this afternoon there was a letter in the mailbox. It was an envelope which had been ripped and cut with scissors or a knife and was addressed to Small and I. There was nothing in the envelope but it was in a sealed plastic bag saying "we sincerely regret that your mail item is damaged. It was found in this condition in the mainstream............you may contact us if liability coverage applies". Of course, liability coverage does not apply and as it was just two birthday cards, there is nothing they can do. I am really annoyed though because it seems obvious that someone has slit the envelope knowing that cards are in there, possibly hoping to get any money out of it. Poor MrsChappo who sent us the cards (I used my Poirot skills and checked the postal code it was sent from and looked through my address book) probably thinks the Canadian Mail System is a bag of POO as a couple of weeks ago, she very kindly sent Small, Smallest and I a package for our birthdays with lovely gifts in it. Unfortunately we were charged this end for duty (doody 'poo' more like). Luckily MrsChappo didn't send anything in or with the cards but that really isn't the point. I tried to complain online and sat for ages setting up a 'ticket', plus an account so I could log in but it seems you can only complain if the sender is in Canada. I know I can't do anything about it and refuse to spend time getting annoyed on the phone, but I am also not ready to let it lie......... I will attempt to speak to our lovely Post Lady.

Everyone but me went off to basketball.

 

 

 

 

 

No comments: