Friday 9 October 2015

Grandad's having a Bobby de Niro

Last night it was sooooo cold when the adults went to bed, my hair and nose were freezing. Grandad reportedly had to get out of bed and put on an extra quilt. Huffle and I went to bed in our hoodies and were still cold. The weather is so strange at the moment.

Everyone had a lie-in as the boys were off school today for a PA Day. After breakfast, Smallest, Grandma and I started a Beano/Dandy jigsaw puzzle. Grandad went into the garden and started clearing the hedge area which let lots of light into the garden. I cleared the veggie patch and Huffle and Smallest tried to move the compost from one corner to the other. We worked through the rain and the boys ended up on the Wii.

Mid morning the landline phone rang, then my mobile and then Huffles. At the same time three emails came through on our various gadgets. It was very strange and a little spooky. All phones and emails were the same message which was recorded from the school. It wished us a Happy Thanksgiving and then reminded us to get the paperwork back to school for the magazine subscriptions. This is something that the school send home with the kids expecting them to get family and friends to buy subscriptions of magazines. I don't agree with it myself and Huffle is definitely against it, despite the fact that it raises money for the school. We were horrified that they used this system at all. Hopefully it won't happen again else I think Huffle will be making a trip to the school.

We all had lunch together and then Grandma and I went to the Mall to try and spend our Sears Points as we had accumulated $200 worth. We wandered through the bathroom department and found nothing. Same in the bedding department. We did manage to find a few things in the kitchen department and then because Grandma wanted some shoes we tried to find some. She picked up a few she liked and I asked the shop assistant if she could find them in a UK size 5 (bearing in mind all the shoes had UK sizes and US sizes). She came back with four boxes and put them down at which point I asked her for another shoe in the same size. She sighed at me and rolled her eyes and Grandma was so mad that she had to walk away. I got her back to try on a shoe that nowhere near fit due to the fact she brought us size 4 and 4.5. When she came back I questioned her as to why she hadn't brought the correct sizes and she huffed again and said that her list in the back told her what the sizes were. I pointed out the size on the shoes (c'mon it can't be that difficult - I only said that in my head). She argued with me about the sizes and I looked at her and said "do you not like your job?" She said she did. I asked her why she sighed at me, brought the wrong sizes and was generally rude. She argued she wasn't rude and didn't sigh etc. I asked to see her Manager as her attitude was disgusting. She pointed at the Customer Service and we went off to complain. They pretty much fobbed us off but did listen to our complaint and made all the right soothing noises to placate us. We were pretty annoyed and couldn't be bothered with shoes after that and so went and paid for everything else. She lost out on possibly two pairs of shoes though and Grandma did really like the shoes.

At the checkout, I said I would like to redeem my points and would I have to use my credit card. Yes was the answer to both questions. I said I would do that then. She then spent ages scanning my items, overcharging me for one item and doubling the price on two other items (which were advertised as $19 or more, the more being in teeny tiny writing). I discarded the $19 or more items and put my credit card in the machine to pay. Before I did though, I asked how my points were going to be redeemed. The assistant said "they are not, you should have told me at the beginning you wanted to do that". I told her I had, that that was the first thing I'd said to her and she said she didn't hear me (right!) I obviously looked really mad as she started to backtrack and say she possibly misunderstood and she was sorry and then had to write on a piece of paper and re-scan everything for me again. I could have quite happily threw the items at her and retreated (grandma had already turned away). I couldn't get out of that place fast enough and if I never go in there again it'll be too soon.

Our next stop was a bedding shop where the woman was overly friendly and helpful. She was quite over the top but it was a nice change from the horrible Sears people. We did end up buying in there and then went into another couple of shops where we were treated very well so we celebrated with a cup of tea (where the woman there was very friendly and liked our accent).

I bought two birthday presents for myself (from Other people) one of which they gave me 15% off because it was my birthday month. Result! That was more than enough excitement for one day and we headed home. Smallest greeted us with 'do we have to have omelette?' as that is what I decided they were having for their dinner. Huffle had got together a few random things for them to eat and they wanted that more. I asked them to find out what Grandad wanted and Smallest told me 'Grandads having a Bobby De Niro'. A WHAT? A Bobby De Niro! He meant a shower which Huffle calls a 'David Gower'. Grandad had finished cutting back the hedgerow, put all our tools away that we had left out and closed up the compost corner.

After dinner, we left Grandma babysitting, while Huffle and I took Grandad to the pub to meet Quiche, he is staying there overnight so we don't have to look after him in his silly drunken state. Huffle has to pick him up tomorrow morning. Huffle and I then went out for a lovely meal.

Chicken, Waffles and Corn (well that's not British is it?) and Salmon with a pea shoot and asparagus salad.

We topped off our evening looking around a supermarket for beef (ever the romantics) for Grandmas Thanksgiving meal that she is making on Monday and then we came home.

What a busy eventful day.

 

No comments: