Thursday 17 September 2015

Fast Freddy - The British Bulldog

When I woke up this morning my throat hurt soooo much. I felt very rough. Huffle had had a better nights sleep due to some Night medicine he had taken (I can't take anything with 'night' in the title as I feel drugged in the morning). Small's finger seemed a little less swollen but he is still full of cold. Smallest has a bit of a cold.

After the boys went to school, Huffle (he took a half day) and I went off to Ikea. We need to get a new kitchen as ours is old, handmade and just a little bit wonky. We had already planned what we wanted online and by the time we had got through all the horrendous traffic and found our way to the kitchen department, we were ready for business. I think I expected someone to sit with us and plan bit by bit what we wanted. In reality we were logged onto a computer screen and told to get on with it. We did have 'Dave' to occasionally stop by and give us some help and advice. He also had a few wry smiles when we asked our questions too.

First we looked at the all the mock kitchens and decided on the doors (this added a bit more to our original price), then we chose the handles (add on more money) and we decided on definitely needing the soft closing option on EVERYTHING (surprisingly not more money added as they come as standard on all cupboards and can be added on drawers too). The tap (faucet) we chose online was disregarded due to its ferocity and hard to clean design (take away some money) and we found a much nicer, much more expensive sink but then had to chose a different later on. It took us ages on the computer, lots of swearing on Huffles behalf and much patience on Dave's part and finally we were done. We had moved the fridge, added on cupboards where the fridge used to be and put a cupboard on the end of the dishwasher. SORTED! We added on $1,200 (dollars not pounds - half in case you don't convert) to our original plan (well I tried to add an extra $500 too for a lovely island but when I got home, I put tape on the floor so I could see if it would fit and it really doesn't go). Huffle edit - that's a right result.

We had a quick wander round and picked up some shower curtains and bath mats, had a quick dinner and came home. We got stuck in really bad traffic and Huffle dropped me at the library before rushing off back to work. I grabbed my books and made my weary way home. It was very hot walking back. After my exercise class yesterday, my legs only hurt when I kick (I was showing Huffle one of the moves we did, that's how I found out they hurt) and my shoulders and arms ache when I lift them over my head (taking off my top, putting it back on).

I had to make more Flapjack for the Football party this evening so I FaceTimed Moo while I made it. The golden rule when making Flapjack (Mary Berry's recipe originally) is to line the tin with Parchment Paper and definitely NOT greaseproof paper as the latter sticks and the only to get it off is to use a hairdryer (yes I have done it before), but I had run out so I tried Tin Foil instead. It stuck but I rescued it thankfully.

The boys came home, did a chore and played on their tablets. Early evening, we all went to Smallest's Football Party which was held on the football fields. The weather was perfect and everyone had brought something, cakes, beer, pizza, salad, pasta, crisps, vegetables, dips etc.

The coach had set up the field with cones, obstacles and nets. He got all the team together and we took photos and then he drew each boys name out of a hat and they had to do a timed run with the ball. Around cones, shooting in a tiny net, over and under some jumps, round some more cones, another shoot in net and then, with their head on a cone going round it five times and running to the finish line. Smallest got third place and won an Adidas T-shirt. Everyone got some food and the boys were presented with a bag which included a big poster of Messi, Suarez, Ozil, a random football shirt (though Smallest's wasn't random - he got an AC Milan top chosen by Huffle a few weeks back, well it could've been Arsenal or Toronto).

They did some penalty shoot outs and had to choose a family member to go against. Smallest chose me because he expected me to be bad (and to be fair I was, though I was on target). They had a few races and Smallest then won a Barcelona top and at the end the Coach gave him an England top. Whenever he called out Smallest's name, he called him Fast Freddy the British Bulldog. They also played 'closest to the pilon' which is a cone.

I had lots of good comments about the Flapjack and one Mum asked for the recipe. The coach's wife asked Smallest "Your Mum's flapjack is the best, does she make this often? What day?". We had to endure a talk from the Main Man who is obviously a Used Car Salesman with all the cr&9 he came out with. I had to walk away and left Huffle half listening (he's good at that). Apparently he told us all about the Rep Trials which are going on this weekend and next so that means we can take Grandad along to the trials as Grandma and Grandad will be with us next week - he'll like that.

It was a good evening and Small got to run around too, fetch some balls and practice corners. The coach gave him a poster too for his help.

 

 

6 comments:

Unknown said...

And what condition do you think Grandad will be in when he arrives 'fresh' from his boozy Barcelona trip??

famfa said...

Well he's not coming in my car from the airport! 😁

Mrs Rumbleskins said...

Make sure you take some before and after pics of the kitchen. So exciting.. But such hard work planning it all!

Mrs Rumbleskins said...

Make sure you take some before and after pics of the kitchen. So exciting.. But such hard work planning it all!

Mrs Rumbleskins said...

Make sure you take some before and after pics of the kitchen. So exciting.. But such hard work planning it all!

famfa said...

Will do. It's nothing compared to what you are building - looking good x