Monday 28 September 2015

In the style of Bob Lawson

After the kids went to school, we left Grandad with a few jobs and Huffle working and Grandma and I went shopping for Small's birthday. We went to the Mall first and picked up a couple of Wii U games, plus we learnt all about them and how they work and were baffled by science for a while. We had to pick one of the games up across the road so we did that later.

We wandered around a couple of shops and bought most things off our list. We have a plan for Snall's birthday cake that involves a lot of M&M's so we spent a while trying to pick out a good array of colours from Bulk Barn. One other thing we were looking for was a Quilt cover for Small's bed (now we are in Autumn) and this we had a lot of trouble over. In the UK we call it a duvet or quilt and we cover the duvet with a washable cover. Makes sense to me. One shop we went into I asked for Quilt Covers or Duvet Covers. We were told that they didn't do Quilt covers but they did do Duvet covers. I asked what the different was and she said "quilts are what the British have on their beds". I told her we were British and said that quilts and duvets were the same. She shook her head as if we were wrong (how rude) and then told me that Canadian kids didn't really have duvets, just comforters. That doesn't sound right. Surely kids' stuff needs washing more!!!

We had a quick trip to a thrifty shop but we didn't like the smell of it or what was in it and made a hasty retreat. There was food shopping to do so we did that next. At the cashier I asked if they had any nought percent milk. She looked at me and said she didn't know as she had only just started her shift. I asked if she could check but she couldn't understand me and the lady in front translated for me. Apparently I should have asked for skimmed milk but I thought it was all percentages!! She called the dairy department but no one answered and we got bored waiting so we left it.

We came home as we realised we hadn't had lunch and were in desperate need of a cup of tea. Grandad had put up Smallest's two bird boxes, rescued Huffles drill bit from a log (don't ask!), tidied the barn, tried to mend Huffle's industrial stapler, painted some pallets and spent a long time in his 'storage unit' sorting.

Smallest had his piano lesson but Small didn't as his teacher thinks it's a waste of time until his finger is better. Tonight the boys went to Scouts and Cubs. Both were in the same hall even though Smallest should have been hiking but I think there was a problem with a lack of leaders.

Grandad and Smallest's routine they do all the time

 

 

No comments: