Wednesday 20 January 2016

A sink and a bucket

Small couldn't get to sleep because he was too excited about his trip away. I slepr for an hour and then was awake for about three hours and then had to be up at 6:15am - OUCH that hurt! At that ungodly hour of the day, Small got himself dressed and made his porridge while I woke myself up and stowed his bags in my car. At 7am we got to school, met his friends and put his bags in the big fancy bus complete with TV screens and blacked out windows (he couldn't see me waving boo hoo). It felt like the middle of the night again as I stood in the car park all by myself, all other Mum's choosing to stand in their little clicky groups. I felt quite miserable watching my first born go off on his first big trip without me with no friendly face telling me it would be alright. Once I had waved the bus away (I think the teacher told the kids to all wave in our general direction so at least we felt they were saying goodbye). Small was so excited, I hope he has the best of times.

I drove to the garage and dropped my car off to have its wheel rim put on. The garage was empty apart from the petrol station part who took my keys and wrote my name and phone number down. I then trudged home in the snow where I did meet a friendly face and a wet nose (girl from Hamlet and her dog) before reaching home. Smallest was already up and watching TV and Huffle was just emerging. We made breakfast and MrBasement arrived. Smallest went off on the bus by himself. No Small to bug him and no BabyMo to sit with so he got to be a big boy and sit at the back of the bus with Small's friend.

My early walk home
All by myself

He started with some electrics and put up the rail for the bottom cupboards. I was on hand for whatever he needed me for. Holding a piece of rail while he sawed it (making me very nervous as the saw got closer to my hands), holding cupboards, carrying, fetching, cleaning, making up many legs, taking legs off. I was very busy. Huffle had lots of calls to take and in between built a couple of cupboards and moved a few things here and there, he was very busy too. I walked back to the garage and picked up my car.

We all stopped for lunch and FaceTimed Moo as MrB wanted to tell her that the service had gone downhill since she had left. I went off to Ikea again to get two new cupboards as we noticed the sink unit wasn't sitting in the middle of the window so we did a bit of jiggery pokery and moved a smaller unit next to the sink. I travelled about 30 minutes to Ikea, to the kitchen department and ordered the bits I wanted, trekked through to the checkout and paid and then drove another 15 minutes to get to the warehouse to pick up my bits. Of course we didn't have to do this last time because the things were all ordered but at least I know for future. Plus I have to make another trip back to pick up the few things that were missing off the original order and take back the things we didn't use.

My trip back was about 25 minutes and the traffic was good so MrB was still there and had put in the sink which looks beautiful. I love it and can't wait to use it. Although it isn't exactly like the one we had in England it really reminds me of it. He hooked up the drinking water tap which looks a bit weird but at least we can use it. When he left for the day, I cleared up, cleaned and organised all the screws, brackets and bits and bobs.

Huffle took us out for dinner on the way to basketball for Smallest. His class was even bigger this week and even more full of dufuses. Honestly I don't know how the coach has the patience. I would have put half the class in the basketball nets if I was coaching! As it was he had to make them do sprint runs because they weren't listening. They make Smallest appear like an angel (which he is of course).

I found this photo of Facebook "memories of Leicester". It was 1993 and I laughingly asked Huffle if I could see Grandads smiley face. Funnily enough, not only was Grandad on there but Huffle too. With hair!!!!

 

No comments: