Friday 22 January 2016

Drawers, Doors and Dampners

An early start due to the Granite man coming between 8am and noon. He came at 11am in the end which was enough time for MrBasement to connect the sink, tap, dishwasher and put some wood on the top as a makeshift work surface.

Today was a PA day which meant that Smallest was off school. Lucky because he had a bad throat (not that he felt bad but he was quite warm and smelly of breath). Huffle worked in the bunker mainly but came up in between calls to help with various things. Smallest and I built a drawer and then started putting on hinges and hanging the doors. He got bored pretty quickly but did work hard while he was working. He had a few sessions on the Wii and computer and kept coming to help me every now and then including walking to the Beer Store (Co-op) with Huffle to fetch a piece of plumbing which they didn't have.

The Granite man was very quick and happy for me to tell him exactly what it was I wanted and didn't want though he did tell it was a bad idea to have a 'flush' work surface because of the anomalies of the wall so I gave in but asked for a small overhang rather than the normal overhang they normally put in. I also asked for squared corners rather than rounded ones. Hopefully it will be fitted within two weeks.

After lunch, MrBasement went out to fetch supplies, Huffle worked in the bunker and put on a door for me and Smallest and I went to the pharmacy to pick up a prescription. While we were there we stopped in at the doctors and asked if Huffle's results were in from his MRI scan. They were. They said that had there been anything on the scan they would have called us. I made him an appointment to speak to the doctor and he is going later next week. I will be going with him so I make sure we understand everything.

We all worked very hard for the rest of the afternoon and by 4:30pm when MrB left, the kitchen was looking pretty good. Smallest helped to move lots of things from the rest of the house into the kitchen and we put everything away. Not necessarily in the correct place but away for now. We cleared the table and put it back in its place and had dinner in our new kitchen. It's lovely. There are a few things missing that we need to get, a drawer front or two, a cupboard door, a couple of dampers (damper dampener not sure which is correct but they make the doors close softly) and a hinge. When the granite is fitted MrB will be back to finish the top of the cupboards - not sure if we are going for more drywall or crown moulding. There is a hole to fix above the fridge, the kick board under the cupboards to add, tiling the splash back and I think that's it unless I find more stuff.

Huffle went off to football and pulled his hamstring (again) and Smallest and I played Rush Hour and started a film and cuddled. He was very tired so he went to bed early after a salt wash for his throat. I read Harry Potter to him at bedtime. It's been so long since I read to him, for ages it has been Moo and before that Huffle mainly read to him. I should have been sewing my quilt square for my class tomorrow but Pah reading to my Smallest is much more important.

Ahh it's nice to have a nearly kitchen back.

MrsPiano left me a message today to say we could have her piano for free if we move move it as she has a new one. Need to speak to MrBasement who said he might be able to move it for us EEEEEKKKKK.

 

No comments: