Monday 18 January 2016

Kitchen Gone

Phew what a day! We all got up that little bit earlier this morning. To me it felt like we were going on holiday, you know when you have to get up at the crack of dawn or even before and get dressed even though you haven't cleaned your teeth or had breakfast. MrBasement arrived around 8:30am as Moo and I were trying to eat toast and drink coffee (a little early for us but we knew it had to be done). Huffle made porridge for himself and Small with the microwave balanced on the table and the utensils who knew where!

MrBasement started with the plumbing and took out the taps, the sink, the dishwasher. It wasn't until much later we realised we had no drinking water (that's means no tea), no dishwasher to clean things and no sink to wash things up that would normally be in the dishwasher. We sent Moo to the Royals for drinking water but they weren't in so MrBasement kindly linked up the drinking water tap for her so she could make us all a cup of tea. Huffle started gingerly unscrewing screws and carefully lifting away the countertop and various bits of cupboards while Moo and I did the fetching and carrying, mainly taking the old bits of wood to MrBasements trailer for him to 'tip' tomorrow. It was snowy and cold and very wet so shoes were on and off and yucky mess was everywhere. MrB gave gave Huffle a heavy hammer to knock one of the cupboards apart that was too big to carry outside. He swung his hammer and hit the side of the fridge (nice dent, glad it wasn't me!) and then swung again and hit his leg. I took it off him at this point and knocked the hell out of the cupboard myself. That felt good!

MrBasement just before a cupboard landed on his had

At 10am we had a scheduled meeting with a Pensions man (Mr slippy shoes) who had come from England to help us with our pensions. That was when we sent Moo off for water. It was very hard to listen to him while all the hammering and banging was going on (apparently that was when MrB was taking the tiles (and some of the wall) away). Yesterday I sent MrB a text to check we could seal off the lounge from the kitchen as I knew there would be lots of dust. He did indeed bring me a huge roll of plastic but we didn't actually put it in place until way after the event, in fact when Moo and I had painstakingly swept, swiffed, vacuumed, mopped and dusted! Still it's ready for the rest of the week. I call it my Crime Scene. A couple of times today, I said to MrB, "what do you think is behind there?". Silly me, should have known better. He instantly got out his wall cutter and made holes. My wonderful idea was to poke my phone up the hole to take a photo of what was in the hole. Normally something that stopped us doing what we might have done had that something not been in the way! Now we have holes everywhere. We found one of our cupboards was held on purely by a small piece of silicone. The floor is made up of los of different materials - bodgers.


Caution - do not enter

For lunch Moo and I were invited to MrsRoyals which was lovely because we didn't expect it and she was very thoughtful in getting us bagels and cream cheese and a lovely coffee cake. It was very quiet and warm in her house and we had a lovely chat. We left MrB eating his microwaved soup and Huffle with his chicken sandwich. Eventually we came back home and cleared up all the mess. By 3pm all the cupboards and MrB were gone and by 4pm Moo and I had cleared all the debris and dust. The boys came home, Small did his homework and Smallest played on the Wii after helping us to empty the useless dishwasher and wash up the pots in the small bathroom sink. Moo and I rewarded our hard work by watching Call The Midwife.

End of Day One

Huffle decided to take us out for dinner as we were in such a mess kitchen wise. We had a lovely dinner in the warmth and comfort of a localish pub and then Moo and I picked up a few groceries while Huffle took the boys to Cubs and Scouts where they carved soap! Small made a surfboard and Smallest made a person or dog! Ummm, Huffle said "what a waste of time, I can't believe they have carved soap into a smaller piece of soap".

I am so very tired, it has been a tough day. Tomorrow MrB is putting up some drywall to make good the bits of wall he removed and then we are hanging the upper cupboards. I will be taking Moo to the airport mid afternoon (yes it is that time again).

Today my lovely friend got her hospital results back and things are not as good as we hoped. She now has to go though some tough chemo and radiotherapy. Once again I am helpless and too far away to be of any use. This is when I hate being so far away. I can't just pop down the road and hug her - it's just too far away. We are always thinking of you lovely MrsElderflowerMeadow. We are sure all will be well. Xxxx

 

No comments: