Monday 28 November 2011

Monday afternoon/evening

Well the day got better.  I met Huffle at the licence centre.  When we got there, there were two queues.  One for tests (very short and moving fast) and one for issuing licences (very long and very slow). It took an hour of waiting and then half an hour to sort us both out with a licence.

The lady was very friendly and helpful.  She took our uk licences, made us do a sight test, took a photo of us not smiling (not easy when Huffle was making me laugh), took $75 off us both and issued us with a paper licence. Cards to follow in two/three weeks.  JOB DONE.

Now we need to look for cars (although I am quite attached to my BMKB car).  

I picked the boys up from school.  Smallest came out first.  Grinning and holding a folder.  He had had a good day (although hadn't been to the toilet all day!). He loved his teacher and he had made some new friends, although he couldn't name them.

Small came out with books, looking tired, but happy.  He loved it, he had had a good day and he had made a new friend (he could remember his name).  Small's teacher then introduced me to another teacher who moved here fours ago from the West Midlands UK, who gave me her number and said I could call anytime and she would take me around if I liked to show me where things were.  There is no doubt that people are genuinely friendly here.

Huffle came home happy but tired.  He just needed to know that the boys were settled and liked school.  

He has also met (well via phone) someone who lives near where we will live and has a son in Smallest's class and who has invited us for Christmas drinks. 

I think we will be fine after all.

I don't have any photos today because I have spent too much time driving.  I will be spending the day with Smallest tomorrow while Huffle is at work and Small is at school so maybe there will be some photo opportunities then.  I have to find a snowman outfit for Small for a concert he will be in!  Now that's a challenge!




4 comments:

Sarah Tomson said...

So pleased that your day got better and that all of your boys had good first days.

Everyone sounds so friendly there am sure you'll all be fine and will settle in nicely just remember its all so new so once you've 'found your feet' things will become so much easier and 'normal'.

C has been requesting smelly egg sandwiches this week and always adds on "just like Freddy has" to the end of the request!

Take care xx

Anonymous said...

Famfa - fantastic "things will only get better" is that erasure! Glued to your blog. Will email you back later and try and proof read before I send, so it's not in umper lumper.

Love Everett xxx

Green bean flying machine gone.

Anonymous said...

Great news about your boys, all of them! Much less stress for you knowing that they're all ok and happy. But don't beat yourself up either and have a good blab if you feel like it. It took us about 6 weeks for the enormity of what we'd done to sink in, I think that's because we'd moved to an English speaking country, it never felt really foreign, only different. The Americans and Canadians are genuinely friendly people, as you've discovered, take them up on any offers you get and you'll soon have a good bunch of friends to help you get by. If you're doing WOYWW again tomorrow I'll link you up, and have a great day with Smallest. We're under a winter storm warning here in Michigan for tonight and tomorrow, up to 6" of snow and temps down to -6C, doesn't look like you're going to get it though!!

Hugs
Brenda

CottonSocks said...

Hi Famfa and family

I've just been reading your blog and catching up with you all in Canada. I'm sure everything will fall into place very soon and your new home looks fantastic. The boys seem to be settling in well and I've just shown my boy the picture of you all eating ice cream - he has asked what season is it over there? The tumble dryer is working well and no breakdowns so far - fingers crossed! Having it now makes me wonder how I ever managed without one.

Love to you all
CherylD x