Friday 2 January 2015

Rescued by Superman

We had a slow morning of breakfast, jigsaw, IPad and homework before a quick lunch and the massive undertaking of getting ready for the snowy slopes. Five people = 12 gloves (I have two pairs), 14 boots (Moo needs ones for car as hers are hard and Huffle needs a pair for driving), 5 helmets, four boards, two skis, two poles, goodies, coffee......... It all takes time.

It was just after 1:30pm by the time we got on the slopes. Half an hour of nursery sloping and then the boys had a lesson with Ryan. They learnt how to turn and edge their boards and did really really well, though we found out that their bindings were in the wrong position (not what Huffle learned in Bulgaria all those years ago) and Smallest's boots were too big for him!

Moo and Huffle went up the 'Big Momma' chair lift and down the slope and then they checked out the Terrain Park runs. For those not in the 'know' this is where the cool boarders and skiers do all their fancy jumps and 'grinds' and somersaults. They found the gentler green run which ran alongside the jumps (still a few smaller jumps but you could miss those too). They decided I could go up that run and although I was struggling with confidence again, I did go up it. All three of us fit on the chair lift and Moo and Huffle got off with ease and decorum, whereas I fell in a heap and scruffled on my knees till I was far away from the chair heading towards me. A man dressed in a Superman boiler suit picked up my cowl which fell off me when I fell over. THANK YOU SUPERMAN I said. He looked like Luigi dressed as Superman!

I managed to get down the slope because it was lovely and wide, a bit quick but it had forest either side. Now everyone knows I like a good forest with trees. I told my board I did not want to head for the trees but my board seemed not to hear and headed me straight for it. It was a great run and Moo and Huffle both went through the little jump tunnel at the end - daredevils!

We went up another time and Moo and Huffle went up the other slopes and then it was time for the boys to finish their lessons. They were very lucky to get the instructor all to themselves and he taught them well. We watched the boys with their new skills and then Huffle and I went off to the Terrain Park again, only this time some other boarders pushed in and sat with Huffle and I was left by myself. I didn't want to go up by myself so I went back to Moo and the boys. Moo and I went up after Huffle came down (after being hit in the back of the calf twice by the chair lift OUCH).

We laughed most of the way down as I kept going in the forest again and this time brought a bit of it out with me. I fell over so many times. I fell off the chair lift again and hurt both my elbows and landed flat on my face. I fell on my hip and then on my bum and did a somersault (but on the ground, not sure that is counted as a trick!). There will be some bruises tomorrow I'm sure.

Moo and Huffle dared to go up the other lift and did another run down and then another one up a different lift. Small and I rested while we watched Smallest board after board after board. He just never stopped!

We headed to the Chip shop on the way home and had a good feed. Everyone was tired and hungry. On the way home we stopped for petrol as it was only 86.9c (that's the cheapest by far since we've been here). We decided to go in the car wash (my car was very dirty) and drove up to the machine, put in our code and drove towards the red line (only we couldn't see a red line). There was a conveyor belt in the car wash and it took us through the car wash and out the other end without a drop of water touching the car. That was it. We had no idea what had happened. Huffle parked up and persuaded me to ask what had happened. The man in the petrol station told me not to turn off the car, not to go past the red line (what red line) and to put the car in neutral. I told him we had never been in one before and as I had a distinct English accent (knew it would come in handy one day) he said "OK I'll give you another ticket - enjoy your ride". Apparently the machine needs to scan the car to see how big it is or something like that so you drive slowly onto the conveyor belt, put it in neutral and it just takes you through. It was a wild ride. The kids thought it was great but Moo and I didn't like it and Huffle had a worried look on his face.

Well I have a nice clean car now. Though the doors did freeze on the way home.

Eventually we got home, emptied the car, dried clothes and gloves and put away helmets and boards. What a lovely day, but tiring.

 

 

 

No comments: