Saturday 6 January 2018

HollywoodHandshake?

The last weekend before Huffle goes back to work, the kids go back to school, I start my normal routine and Moo leaves to go home.

Huffle and I watched the second half of the Leicester game this morning whilst still in bed (very early game here). Stoke was playing later but wasn't on the TV. We listened to it on the radio but turned it off after a while because it was just a noise.

It was still incredibly cold outside with temperatures of -26* (-33* real feel). Smallest's football game was cancelled due to the indoor pitch being returfed. Showers were had and crepes were made for breakfast. Smallest has been asking for them for ages and I promised next pancake/waffle day, I would make them. Smallest was my assistant chef today and I taught him how to toss them. He was doing really well until he dropped one and touched the side of the pan, burning his fingers. We heard about the 'burn' for the rest of the day. He will be fine. The crepes were delicious especially with Golden Syrup.

The first part of the morning was spent playing Kingdomino and while the kids played FIFA, the olds played skip-Bo.

Late morning, I decided I would make a bread from my new PaulHollywood book. I chose a Bloomer loaf because it's supposed to be a good starter bread. I kneaded it until it was stretchy and left it to prove. Meanwhile we had lunch and watched GrandpasGreatEscape which is the film of a DavidWalliams book that Smallest's has read. It was entertaining enough though Huffle likened it to Brum and AuntMabel.

After my dough had tripled in size, I knocked it back and shaped it and left it to prove for a second time. During this time we played more Kingdomino and Carcassonne. The boys had some IPad and reading time and some FIFA. Moo carried on with her jigsaw.

The bread was put in the oven and we made dinner. Airfry chips and fried egg (all instructions to Huffle including how to cut potatoes and use airfryer and how to fry multiple eggs). The bread was baked and cooled just time to cut it for a chip butty. It was delicious and reminiscent of our old village bread from the local shop. Yum yum. I will definitely make it again despite it taking a total of about five hours. (The first prove can take up to three hours)!

This evening was Small's first game since before Christmas, so him and Huffle went off to that while Moo, Smallest and I played a few more games of Kingdomino and ate some AngelDelight that Smallest made for us.

Small's team lost against a team that had so few players that a couple of Dads played instead. Huffle said it was so cold that the temperature gauge didn't move until he had got to the destination, 20 minutes later. He said it was very very cold and he couldn't get his windscreen completely defrosted and the engine was very sluggish.

Temperatures should be coming down slightly tomorrow.

 

No comments: