Thursday 25 January 2018

Your moustache is on the floor

Small didn’t need to get me up this morning but I still wanted to see him off and wish him luck.  Today was his Science exam.  He said he did okay.  It covered the whole semester so he wasn’t overly confident this morning but went off on the bus with his Science folder.  I still had to do Smallest’s lunch and my own lunch.

I left a note for Huffle to get him to check our solar lights on the barn as they didn’t seem to be working.  He found out later that the wires had been chewed through.  Naughty animals!!!  Wonder what it was?

I went  off to Pottery.  Jacq had my apron from Suffolk.  It was lovely.  Lots of oooh and ahhhs and what a great seamstress and many can I buy one but no actual orders.  People just don’t like to pay for things even if they can see how much work has gone into it.   We started off by watching a demonstration on how to clean our previous pots up.  This proved tricky as my pots were wonky in the beginning.  My first attempt I made a hole in the bottom (well that’s a plant pot then!), my second one I actually made lovely feet (the raised bit that sits nicely on the bottom and doesn’t get glazed) third one was okay.  I can’t say I got any better.  We then learned how to make a stamp.  I really wanted to do one that would put my initials on the bottom but you can’t really do that on a wheel thrown pot as they are too dry by that stage.  I still made an ‘S’ stamp and once it is hard I can make another one from the stamp but a relief one (standing out).



.
Jacq on the wheel



Teacher modelling my apron 

Teacher, apron and wheel

I also threw three pots and got one fairly decent (though not really) one out of them.  I watched a video last night and was convinced I knew exactly what I was doing.  I didn’t!!!!  I’m sure it’s getting harder.  Well it certainly isn’t getting any easier.  At least I looked the part on my new pinny.

I came home, ate my lunch on the way and found Small playing on the XBox.  He didn’t want to come food shopping with me but did help me unload when I got back.  Small did some playing, reading and revising or reviewing as he calls it.  He now has one day off (and the weekend) and his next exam is Monday which is French.


Last year I made some Beetroot Chutney which was lovely and today I made some more.  Five jars of the stuff.  Beetroot, Ginger, Cranberries, sugar, vinegar, onion and apple.   It’s really good with cheese.

After dinner, we left Small behind studying and took Smallest to his football gym. He had trouble today with wheeziness so we have decided to put his inhaler in his bag just in case.  Huffle and I went to Mall and had a brisk walk.  Perfect place to go when it’s cold and icy outside.  We did pick up a few things we needed whilst there too.

When we collected Smallest I slipped on the ice and landed on my back in a most ungainly manner.  I hurt my elbow and my leg but nothing a bag of peas won’t fix.


No comments: