Sunday 8 May 2016

Mothers day variety extravaganza

HAPPY CANADIAN MOTHERS DAY (and other countries but not England). I learnt yesterday that Mothers Day, here anyway, is always the second Sunday of May, so this year is the earliest it can be. I think normally the men would BBQ for the mothers in their family and certainly looking at the weather in the UK today, that would certainly be a good time. Here, the weather was nice and sunny with temperatures around 13* until it rained.

My Mothers Day treat started with watching Pirates of the Carribean with the kids until Huffle got up and then he put my breakfast treat in the oven. For breakfast we had a Dutch Baked Apple Pancake which we prepared last night. We got the idea from the lovely B&B place we stayed in Ottawa. It was buttery sugary apples with a custardy pancake around it. It was very delicious and could have easily been a pudding. Everyone but me had a Cinamon sugar on top. We added some blueberries and maple syrup too. Yummy.

After breakfast, the boys cleared the table and presented me with their cards and presents. I had two handmade cards. A silver bangle which we chose yesterday (and today realised it was for a Granddaughter!) and a drawer knob for my bathroom cupboard, and lots of lovely plants. Plus a new coffee thermos mug (because I have lost mine). Huffle also picked me a beautiful tulip from our garden and later I picked a daffodil as it broke in the wind.

After a short break where the boys all disappeared to practice their 'performance' I was positioned in the living room and my 'mothers day extravaganza' began. Small started with 'oh Canada' on the tuba.

Smallest then played Ronde on the recorder and then 'May the Force be with you' with Small as Luke Skywalker gazing into the stars (he got inspiration from One Man Star Wars).

The next part of my show was an interactive performance of clips of films for me to guess with wine gums as my rewards. First up was the elephant scene in Jungle Book.

Up two three four, keep it up two....

Gandalf and Balrog in the Lord of The Rings.

None shall pass

Luke I am your Father scene from Star Wars.

Noooooooo!

Harry Potter and the sorting hat.

Gryffindor

Polar express - geek boy after drinking his hot chocolate.

The king of the Aztecs drank 50 quarts each day

Rocky.........

Adriennnnnnnnnne

Huffle in a dress (I never thought I'd see it) for Wizard of Oz.

C'mon toto

Smallest then played Scottish bells on his recorder and Small played Serengeti dreams on the Tuba.

The finale was a scene from one of my favourite films, Ferris Bueller. The scene on the bus at the end. It was excellent and I videod it (if anyone wants to see it, let me know).

Chicka chickaaaaaah

It was a fabulous performance and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

The boys went on their electronics and Huffle and I did some weeding, adding compost and planting some of the new plants. It was very tiring and Small made us a cup of tea (only because it was Mother's Day he said) which we drank on the porch just as it started raining. Good timing.

Dicentra, trillium and daff all blooming for me

Huffle Facetimed Grandma and Grandad. Naughty Grandad had been in the 23* sunshine and not put on any sun cream! Tut tut.

That's not a pink nose is it?
Huffles new team shirt (better than his Dorothy dress?)

For dinner I was treated to $6 special Fish and Chips in Whitby. On the way back we saw a discount shoe place and went in and bought shoes for everyone but me. Suffolk and I will go in the week and peruse at our leisure. Our last treat of the day was a sneaked in special 50c do-nut in the nearby cinema to watch The Jungle Book. It piddled down with rain and we got soaked but the cinema was nice and warm with big cosy seats and despite the people behind who stunk of beer, Huffle fell asleep briefly but overall it was good. I was disappointed they missed my favourite song "I will go and fetch the water........" And the Elephant marching song but I enjoyed guessing the voices behind the animals.

What a lovely Mothers Day. Thank you family.

 

 

 

1 comment:

AA said...

Crikey, that was an extravaganza!!